Thread: Booting without a DVD drive

Default Booting without a DVD drive

Well, I'm dowloading the ISO right now, but, I heard it's a DVD image.
    Sadly, my laptop is too old to feature a DVD drive, and does not support USB booting through the BIOS.

So my question is: how can I boot BT4? Can anyone help me setup a network boot, or trick the laptop into booting from USB. Those boot methods are both new to me

Thanks in advance guys.

Default Pxe

If you have another machine you can boot BT4 with, then you can do a network install over PXE.

I can set up a virtual machine (boot the VMWare image you kindly supplied), would that do it?

I've never used PXE before, do I just start a program in BT4, and then boot the laptop with PXE?

Thanks for the help

EDIT: I went ahead and powered on the VM, started networking, and then booted my laptop. PXE says it's received no DHCP or boot offers.
    Where's the obvious error I'm making? My network is running a standard DHCP server (router)

EDIT2: Mister_X in the IRC pointed me here: http://backtrack4.blogspot.com/2009/...r-network.html
    I'll check it out

EDIT3: for the reference, pxelinux.cfg is not in the VMWare image, using the liveDVD instead
    (Figure this might be good information for the next person to start messing with PXE boots)

EDIT4: Got it up and running, thanks to Muts and Mister_X.

You can try PLoP, it can force USB/CD boot on machines who's bios does not support it. It can be installed on on a diskette or CD to help you boot from USB.

Just burned his ISO

I dont suppose thunderwing you managed to get plop working?

I had a similar problem with and old Acer with a deffective DVD reader and no USB Boot Support, problem solved with PLOP (as thunderwing sayd)

In case you guys didn't read my whole post, I got it fixed, I just left the info for others who may experience the same problem