Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Bt4 dual boot tutorial

Default vista problems

Ok I am in the same boat as the poster before about the weird recovery partition. My HP came with a 1.5 gig partition that holds a recovery image. My question is, is there any way for me to dual boot vista and bt4 with this partition being there?

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ang1dust View Post
    Reply with something useful. Obviously i look on the internet and yes i want to learn more about the commands. I loved dos when i was young and wish i had this in my hands. I am requesting if there is one, a "quick reference" guide or anything similar as a manual. Im no where near a noob to computers, only linux.

Thanks.
    You may not be newb with computers, but obviously a newb at asking questions, on the internet. Again there are hundreds of commands for linux, as such there are man pages (manual pages) that help you to understand the command. You can go straight to the command line and type
    #man grep this will turn your terminal into a "e-book" all about the command grep. You can also type in google man grep and you will be presented with a list of sites to read the same basic things from.
    A good reference for the man pages can be found here
    http://linux.about.com/od/commands/l/blcmdl.htm
    As for more generic info about commands see also
    http://www.ss64.com/bash/
    Now again if this is not useful enough for you then you probably won't find much else. No one is in the business of holding your hand. If you want to learn we are all for helping you. If on the other hand you want someone to spoonfeed you here then good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by balmung135 View Post
    Ok I am in the same boat as the poster before about the weird recovery partition. My HP came with a 1.5 gig partition that holds a recovery image. My question is, is there any way for me to dual boot vista and bt4 with this partition being there?
    Why would you not be able to dual boot your computer?
    If you do not want this "weird" partition then delete it.
    If you want to keep it then don't delete it. That really has nothing to do with BT but rather your misunderstanding of how partitions and partition mangers work.
    I suggest you take a look at the following
    One
    Two
    Three
    Four
    And finally our old friend google.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

well, I want to keep that partition for recovery reasons, but i didnt see anyone answer that guys question on the partition maps. He said with that eisa partition first, then it messed up his install.

Just burned his ISO

Unhappy installing to HDD from flash drive to netbook

Thank you for writing this tutorial.

I've run into a couple of road blocks I can't seem to get around, though.

I'm trying to install BT4b onto my netbooks HDD from a USB flashdrive.
    I've gotten BT4b onto the flash drive fine and booted it up, but it seems like fdisk is only letting me have a total of 4 partitions, yet my pc already comes with 3, so I can't make the 3 needed to install backtrack.

my netbook has:
    Windows XP installed on sda1 (which i took 20 gigs out of for BT4b, thus making a sda-1)
    a recovery partition (which i'd like to keep for a rainy day) on sda2
    and some random misc space (33mb) on sda3

after typing:
    Code:
    fdisk /dev/sda
    followed by p, fdisk lists:

Code:
    /dev/sda1    (Boot:*)     (Start: 1)     (End: 15784)     (Blocks:126783328+)     (Id: 7)     (System: HPFS/NTFS)

/dev/sda2     (Start: 18659)     (End:19452)     (Blocks: 6377805)     (Id: 1c)     (System: Hidden W95 FAT32 {LBA})

/dev/sda3     (start: 19453)     (end: 19457)     (blocks: 40162+)     (Id: ef)     (system: EFI {FAT-12/16/32})
    So when i goto make a new partition, it auto-selects #4, leaving me no room to create the extra 2 partitions.

what would I do in this situation? Any help is much appreciated!

Just burned his ISO

thanks for this tutorial its so amazing, now i can run both windows and BT on my laptop

Just burned his ISO

Sir, purehate....
    You are assuming a lot of things....

In all of your tutorials you posted here, i see thst you disregard linux noobs and just post the tutorial which is quite unnecessary for people familiar with linux shell and commands.... They can install it themselves...

For people like me who are interested in trying out BT tutorials are the only way, and tuts like this doesn't help at all...

Just wanted to say this.... Your userID says it all... Try loving noobs for a change... I help nobs in some other forums where i'm good at the stuff..... HF and H33T will be 2 forums just to mention....

Sorry if i crossed some line somewhere by posting this.... I'm just another guy who couldn't get info to install BT from the very forum guys who makes it.......but i suppose i'm the few who respond this...

What good is a car which has no doors and you can only push it from outside and not drive it....? It's a fail even if it's a FERRARI....

I won't stop trying to install it......bcoz want to...

Just burned his ISO

Default Great Work!

Purehate,

Thanks for this tutorial. It allowed me to better familiarize myself with Linux commands, partitioning, the command line and BT.
    Keep up the good work!

Just burned his ISO

Thumbs up

Pureh@te thanks for this tutorial, it worked just as described!!

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by chasefreak View Post
    when i give the command lilo -v
    i get an error lilo is not installed . it throws a command and tells how to install lilo
    i do that and still it does not get installed
    chasefreak, did you ever figure this out? i am having the same problem.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by chasefreak View Post
    when i give the command lilo -v
    i get an error lilo is not installed . it throws a command and tells how to install lilo
    i do that and still it does not get installed
    I get the same. Let me know if you get it fixed and ill do the same.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345