Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bt4 dual boot tutorial

Developer

if your in chroot you wont have a gui so there is no way you sre editing the correct file with kate. When you run the chroot command you have to use a console text editor in order to edit the lilo file otherwise you are just editing the live cd.

Nano works fine for me for editing. Is the panic message in my last post helpful at all for diagnosing what might be going wrong? I tried making the boot partition at location 1 on the drive, but got the same results...

Did you make sure, that you are using the right partition numbers?

You can check the partition numbers using fdisk.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Here's my whole history of partition usage:
    Originally, my machine had partition 1 as an EISA partition, 2 as Vista, then some freespace into which I made 3 and 4 (skipping the swap). Result: panic

Then I deleted the EISA partition, but found I could not combine that space into the vista partition, so tried:
    a) ignoring that space, and creating all three partitions in the freespace per the install guide. Result: panic
    b) creating the boot partition in the 1-x area of the disk, then the swap and main in the space behind vista. Result: panic

I am also having a problem reconciling the sda/sdb when booting from usb, and then writing the lilo.conf. I've tried both way, but with no success. Specifically, when I boot, the HDD becomes sdb, but I know upon boot w/o usb, it'll be sda, so I don't know how to properly edit lilo to look in the right place, however, so far it doesn't seem to matter, I get a panic either way.

That's ok, but you didn't answer my question.

Did you check out, which partitions you have, like which primary and logical ones?
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

So far all partitions have been primaries. I did once try making a single extended partition into which I made three logical paritions, and got the same result (also, I first tried just making the logical boot partition bootable, then also tried making the entire extended partition bootable, but no change)

How about checking the output of fdisk -l ?

That would help to help you.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

At what point? Before I begin there is just the one partition (vista) but it does not begin on cylinder 1.

Then depending on which particular (unsucessful) route of install, I have different results, so would like to report the most helpful version. Thanks for your interest and help.

also, when I do 'lilo -v' I do get two warnings:
    Warning: LBA32 addressing assumed

and

Warning: /dev/sdb is not on the first disk

that second one does concern me, but if I change it to sda, I get:
    Warning: The boot sector and map file are on different disks
    Fatal: Illegal 'root=' specification: /dev/sda7

Well just issue the fdisk -l and post the output with your vista partition in place.
    Then we can have a look where to go from there on.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Here is the result after trying to create an extended partition and making logicals inside:

/dev/sdb2 * 196 6533 50900540 7 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sdb3 6534 7296 6138797+ 5 Extended
    /dev/sdb5 * 6534 6542 72261 83 Linux
    /dev/sdb6 6543 6674 1060258+ 82 Linux swap/Solaris
    /dev/sdb7 6675 7296 4996183+ 83 Linux

fyi, this resulted in panic, with same failure, but now at (8,23) instead of (8,20)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast