Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rtl8187

Quote Originally Posted by Virchanza View Post
    I haven't got the BT4 beta, but to somebody who has go it:

Do you know which RTL8187 driver is used, and where I can get it? (I wanna install it on my main Linux setup)
    it's the latest one that is part of the linux kernel (already built in). It uses the mac80211 stack. You'll need a kernel newer than what is in BT3 to use it. Probably ought to just download BT4, unless you are a glutton for linux punishment

HERE is more info from the aircrack-ng wiki

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by xCPPx View Post
    I've just tested the alfa AWUS036H with BT4b and there seem to be a few changes to note since BT3.

• First, the standard "iwconfig" way of putting this card into monitor mode doesn't work any more. You have to use "airmon-ng start wlan0" to create a mon0 interface, which supports monitor mode as well as injection.
    • Airodump-ng wlan0 fails, but airodump-ng mon0 works. The injection with "aireplay-ng --test mon0" also works.
    • macchanger works on both interfaces.
    • "iwpriv wlan0 highpower 1 is gone", but "iwconfig wlan0 txpower 20" or "iwconfig mon0 txpower 20" work now.
    I also just tested with Alfa AWUS036H / bt4b. with the identical results. The card is functioning just as it did within bt3, aside from the exact specific exceptions you've already described above. It's still completely silent during all typical operations.

the front plate of the Alfa comes off easily by removing the antenna and depressing the two tabs out of their slots at the front. behind the front plate is nothing more than a relatively simple circuit board. Not much info will be garnered by putting a multimeter on perfectly working components on the cb. Particularly since it will most likely not be *Considered* a repairable circuit board. (unless you like chasing replacement electrical components made in China). Does Alfa offer a replacement Circuit board? It will probably end up costing as much as a replacement Alfa 500mw interface; if they even do offer it.

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by clone View Post
    Not much info will be garnered by putting a multimeter on perfectly working components on the cb.

After I ruined my first Alfa (his name was Tobey) by leaving him out in the rain, I dissected him and tried to clean up rusty solder joints. I ended up soldering 4 legs of the RTL8187 chip together. Then I tried to remove the solder from the 4 chips, and ended up pulling pins up out of the board. For the finale, I threw a hissy fit, destroyed the board and threw it in the bin.

Then I ordered a shiny new Alfa (her name's Jessica).

So anyway I learned two lessons:
    1) Don't leave Jessica out in the rain unless you want her to end up like Tobey
    2) Don't do soldering on small surface mount components, stick to the jumbo size stuff you did in college

Also if you keep an extension lead outdoors and the Alfa indoors, make sure rain water doesn't run down the extension lead into the Alfa (I had to dry Jessica off one time but luckily she escaped unscathed).
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

Just a note on the ALFA. Ok, its now using the mac drivers and its more convenient but it does not operate as good as it did with the old drivers. I originally noticed the difference when I installed Ubuntu 8.10 on a machine and the performance of the ALFA was terrible. I blacklisted the rtl8187 and installed the old driver and the performance increased dramatically. I installed BT4b (dual boot with BT3) on my laptop and the same thing again. I have 3 ALFA's and 3 machines (2 laptops and 1 pc) I regularly use with BT and the ALFA and every one is the same. The mac drivers just dont cut it. Heres a couple of pics of airodump-ng on the same aerial to show the difference:

BT3

BT4

And I have read the stuff on channel seperation etc. but believe me, the mac drivers make it a lot harder to get WPA handshakes as you would imagine.

And here's BT4b working nicely with the old ieee80211 drivers:

Just burned his ISO

Hello! I would like to know a doubt. Backtrack 4 recognize my wifi card very well, now my question is, as I inject my card? I have to install some sort of drivers? I have not installed any kind of drivers, I recognize the card automatically. My chipset is rtl8187b. Thank you very much.

Just burned his ISO

Smile Help

Hello! I would like to know a doubt. Backtrack 4 recognize my wifi card very well, now my question is, as I inject my card? I have to install some sort of drivers? I have not installed any kind of drivers, I recognize the card automatically. My chipset is rtl8187b. Thank you very much.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by ioannou.alexandros View Post
    Hi friends,

I just bought an ALFA 500mW usb wireless card and I am just wondering if anyone of you guys that has the same card as me, had actually heard or still hearing some strange noises inside the case.

Once I have connected the card I suddenly heard a noise and I was wondering where this noise comes from. When I took the wireless card and touch it to my ears I heard the noise.

Can you please check yours whether it does the same or not!

This noise comes periodically. Is that normal or ?
    Touch it to your ears....!!!??? That things pumping out 500mw of radio signal at 2.4Ghz, it'll fry your brain in seconds, have you noticed short term memory loss? Only joking, I think they all make the same noise...

Just burned his ISO

Hello! Good news! for using a card with chipset rtl8187b are in luck!

It works very well recovering wep key.

Simply do this:

airmon-ng stop wlan0
    macchanger --mac 00:11:22:33:44:55 wlan0
    airmon-ng start wlan0

now appears that the monitor mode is mon0
    macchanger --mac 00:11:22:33:44:55 mon0
    we say that we can not say that the MAC address and uses the extension mon0 is to be used for injection.

a greeting.

i have rtl8187b (0bda:8189 Realtek Semiconductor Corp.) but not working well with bt4,
    its found with RTL8187L/RTL8187B driver but extremly slow and can not find any wifi, even myown ap which is 2-3m far.

Just burned his ISO

Same for me, most of the time i can´t get it to monitor mode, cause airmon freezes and telling me, knetworkmanager could cause problems. if i get it to work though (after a few restarts), it detects very slowly, as if a different process wouldn´t let the rtl8187 receive any data. tried killing knetworkmanager, didn´t help.
    now i have no idea what to do :/

edit: now i know what to do. after starting airmon, it takes pretty long, till card is in monitor mode, 1-2 minutes. but after that, it works like a charm.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast