Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Virus "pwnd" me twice today

Just burned his ISO

Yep, a .com file extension. Tricky bastards....
    Social engineering at its finest

Quote Originally Posted by Virchanza View Post
    My workaround was to switch to Linux Of all the bad things I say about Microsoft Windows though, I've gotta give it one thing: it gives a fantastic "out of the box" experience. Stuff just works straight away. I installed Linux a few months ago and I'm still trying to get it right (my DVD drive is still slow as shit). It's a shame how the whole "out of the box" experience can have such an impact on a person's opinion about an operating system. When I first tried Ubuntu maybe about a year ago, I quickly got sick of it; too much stuff needed tweaking (e.g. the font rendering was disgusting). I tried switching from MSWindows to Ubuntu more than once, but fell back to MSWindows each time.

A few months ago, I really made the effort to switch to Linux, and now I'm using Ubuntu-with-Xfce as my main OS. I never boot into WinXP anymore (except for checking viruses ).

I still haven't got my Linux setup quite right, but once I've got it figured out I'm 100% certain it will be superior to MSWindows. If I had a Linux guru living next door to me he'd probably have my laptop sorted in fifteen minutes...

I should really make a to-do list of stuff I want to change on my Linux system, first thing I need to do is get my DVD drive working at more than 4 megabytes a second
    ubuntu FTW! i like gnome desktop though. I'm going to get a netbook with ubuntu on it, and use that as my pentest laptop at work

I don't get why you clicked the -folder-looking-file- on your laptop, surely if you had unchecked "hide extensions of known filetypes" "and hide protected operating system files" you would have seen the .com extension and not mistaken it for a folder?

Also in my experience you cannot assign an icon to a .com file, only to exe and the likes...

Good story though

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aliosity View Post
    I don't get why you clicked the -folder-looking-file- on your laptop, surely if you had unchecked "hide extensions of known filetypes" "and hide protected operating system files" you would have seen the .com extension and not mistaken it for a folder?
    It was a ".exe", not a ".com" file. It had the regular MS Windows folder icon. Psychologically, I'm influenced more by pictures than text, so my first reaction was to believe the picture, so I took it to be a folder that had a ".exe" name. I was curious about what was being hidden inside that folder, so I double-clicked it to take a look inside.

As Streaker69 said, it's best to do this stuff at the commandline.
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123