Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: [Howto] Running BT4beta on the same usb key as BT3

Just burned his ISO

well this explains why i lose wifi drivers, sound drivers and such when using your boot folder .

Quote Originally Posted by omarara View Post
    did you also upgraded your friends Kernel !
    i guess i will upgrade kernel and try this
    how did you update your boot loader ! by upgrading the kernel !
    They all used my ISO, so yes. I probably updated the bootloader because I could (reason i do anything, because i can).

New /boot uploaded, everything is in its proper place.

I'm also going to test with the original USB ISO and see if it works. If that's the problem I'll be a bit angry with myself.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderwing View Post
    Thy all used my ISO, so yes. I probably updated the bootloader because I could (reason i do anything, because i can).

New /boot uploaded, everything is in its proper place.

I'm also going to test with the original USB iso and see if it works. If that's the problem i'll be a bit angry with myself.
    Well if this was the problem i guess then there is no problem and i will give you many thanks
    i have a Q which version of KDE on BT4 !
    Impossible is impossible

Just burned his ISO

It worked here, event without your folder.

Quote Originally Posted by omarara View Post
    Well if this was the problem i guess then there is no problem and i will give you many thanks
    i have a Q which version of KDE on BT4 !
    KDE3 (had to fill character limit, so here is some spam)

Quote Originally Posted by Ataraxiste View Post
    It worked here, event without your folder.
    Then i have no idea! I'm so confused....I don't even know whats wrong anymore. I guess its a two part tutorial, if the first part doesn't work, use my boot folder!

Quote Originally Posted by GDixon View Post
    well this explains why i lose wifi drivers, sound drivers and such when using your boot folder .
    Exacly, i provided you with the wrong kernel, but I fixed that. Sorry for the mixup.

Just burned his ISO

No need whatsoever to be sorry lol
    I never mind playing around and trying something like this at all and expect things to crash, not work or be buggy at first. In the end everything gets worked out and smooth like glass

Once this is all worked out i'm even thinking with a big enough stick that the amount of diffrent distros you can add is only limited by the size of the stick.

Is there a good reason for using lilo over grub though?

Quote Originally Posted by GDixon View Post
    No need whatsoever to be sorry lol
    I never mind playing around and trying something like this at all and expect things to crash, not work or be buggy at first. In the end everything gets worked out and smooth like glass

Once this is all worked out i'm even thinking with a big enough stick that the amount of diffrent distros you can add is only limited by the size of the stick.

Is there a good reason for using lilo over grub though?
    I'm pretty sure its just preference, i'm just using the default that comes with backtrack. And yes, running multiple live os's from the same key is indeed fun, it really helps amalgamate all of your software.

The grub on my laptop boots many live os's directly, its fun when you forget your usbkey and its way faster. All the fun of a HD install with all of the safety and reliability of a live environment

i am upgrading KDE and i use BT3 USb version so i changes the final to USB version and i will try , i wish this works
    Impossible is impossible

Just burned his ISO

Yep, it's the kernel difference that causes it to go into the loop ( going back to the bt3 option )
    With your boot folder and the new kernel and image everything works perfect.

I tried changing the time before the first menu option boots but it's stuck on 4 secs even after changing it to 30 in the config file but thats minor for now.

One thing I have noticed is with bt3 and changes , bt3 uses a smaller partition for saved changes. With bt4 I had to increase the size (compared to bt3) on a new partition of the flash stick or i ran out of room.

Thanks for posting your boot folder for this!

It is a bit intriguing that a simple kernel difference caused it to not work , have to look into it further to see why.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast