Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: [Howto] Running BT4beta on the same usb key as BT3

which version of back track 3 did you use ! was it ISO or USB
    i am using ISO
    Impossible is impossible

Quote Originally Posted by omarara View Post
    i am using ISO
    I'm using the usb version of backtrack 3, I'm not sure if that would make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by omarara View Post
    i am using ISO
    I've posted my boot folder in the original post, if that dosen't work, there really are no more alternitives.

Just burned his ISO

Your boot folder WORKS!!!!
    Now i will find out what is different:

Files you have that i don't:
    - pxelinux.cfg folder (from the BT4 boot folder)
    -linld097.com (in the dos folder from the BT4 boot folder)

Files with different contents:

-config file (in dos folder of boot)

Yours: (same as the one in the BT4 boot folder)
    Code:
    root=/dev/ram0
    init=linuxrc
    load_ramdisk=1
    prompt_ramdisk=0
    ramdisk_size=6666
    rw
    Mine: (not the same as the BT4 one)
    Code:
    ..\vmlinuz               # first value must be the filename of the Linux-kernel
    root=/dev/ram0           # the device which gets mounted as root FS
    rw                       # mount it read-write

initrd=..\initrd.gz      # this file gets loaded as 'initial ramdisk'
    init=linuxrc             # start /linuxrc script from initrd.gz image
    load_ramdisk=1           # 
    prompt_ramdisk=0         # we do not need to be prompted
    ramdisk_size=6666        # our initrd.gz is 6666 KB of size when unpacked

vga=769                  # enable 640x480 gfx mode by default

Even after all those files being moved to "my" boot folder and running the bootinst.bat file again i still cant get my boot folder to work, even though yours does.

i am sure that you missed a massive change
    Impossible is impossible

Just burned his ISO

Hi All,

Seem to have got this working but appears very buggy and unstable.

1, copied bt4 and boot folders to my bt3 partition (renamed old boot to bt3.boot first)
    2, ran bootinst.sh from bt4 boot dir
    3, created a dir called multi.boot and copied everything from bt3.boot into it
    4, did a diff between the bt3 and bt4 boot dirs and then renamed everything that was different as beta.xxx (ie: vmlinuz became beta.vmlinuz)
    5, copied all the renamed files to the multi.boot dir (and put them in the appropriate places).
    6, also copied any files that were only in the bt4 boot dir to the multi.boot dir.
    7, you should now have a syslinux.cfg and a beta.sylinux.cfg in the syslinux dir in multi.boot
    8, copied and pasted contents of beta.syslinux.cfg onto end of sylinux.cfg
    9, edited the bt4 entries to beta.xxx (ie: vmlinuz to beta.vmlinuz etc) and removed duplicate entries ierompt etc.
    10, renamed boot dir to bt4.boot and multi.boot to boot

I can now select the bt3 options from the boot menu and all works as normal.
    When I select the bt4 options the system boots and I can log in as root but when I try startx it runs the bt3 environment which is weird and the screen resolution is slightly off.

Hope this helps.

Kindest regards

James

Quote Originally Posted by jrm7262 View Post
    Hi All,

Seem to have got this working but appears very buggy and unstable.

1, copied bt4 and boot folders to my bt3 partition (renamed old boot to bt3.boot first)
    2, ran bootinst.sh from bt4 boot dir
    3, created a dir called multi.boot and copied everything from bt3.boot into it
    4, did a diff between the bt3 and bt4 boot dirs and then renamed everything that was different as beta.xxx (ie: vmlinuz became beta.vmlinuz)
    5, copied all the renamed files to the multi.boot dir (and put them in the appropriate places).
    6, also copied any files that were only in the bt4 boot dir to the multi.boot dir.
    7, you should now have a syslinux.cfg and a beta.sylinux.cfg in the syslinux dir in multi.boot
    8, copied and pasted contents of beta.syslinux.cfg onto end of sylinux.cfg
    9, edited the bt4 entries to beta.xxx (ie: vmlinuz to beta.vmlinuz etc) and removed duplicate entries ierompt etc.
    10, renamed boot dir to bt4.boot and multi.boot to boot

I can now select the bt3 options from the boot menu and all works as normal.
    When I select the bt4 options the system boots and I can log in as root but when I try startx it runs the bt3 environment which is weird and the screen resolution is slightly off.

Hope this helps.

Kindest regards

James
    That seems about 4 times the work i had to put into getting it to work. If you just copy my /boot and have the BT3 and BT4 on the root of your key, everything will work perfectly.

What i did is what you see in the pictures, i don't know why it worked for me and not anyone on this forums (and i've reproduced it for everyone i know).

i used thunderwing's boot file and it worked w/o any problem, but in bt3 kernel shows as 2.6.28.1 is this normal?

Quote Originally Posted by msenoz View Post
    i used thunderwing's boot file and it worked w/o any problem, but in bt3 kernel shows as 2.6.28.1 is this normal?
    Holy crap, you may have figured out whats different about my usb version of backtrack. I upgraded my kernel to 2.6.28 and remade the image. I had totally forgot about that. I maybe have also updated the bootloader in the process. Well, no harm done i guess. I will re-upload the boot folder with the original initrd.gz and vmlinuz, the one in there now will most likely mess things up.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderwing View Post
    Holy crap, you may have figured out whats different about my usb version of backtrack. I upgraded my kernel to 2.6.28 and remade the image. I had totally forgot about that. I maybe have also updated the bootloader in the process. Well, no harm done i guess. I will re-upload the boot folder with the original initrd.gz and vmlinuz, the one in there now will most likely mess things up.
    did you also upgraded your friends Kernel !
    i guess i will upgrade kernel and try this
    how did you update your boot loader ! by upgrading the kernel !
    Impossible is impossible

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast