Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: [Howto] Running BT4beta on the same usb key as BT3

Quote Originally Posted by thunderwing View Post
    I'm about to upgrade the post with picture by picture steps. I completed the steps as i made the screenshots so its guaranteed to work (thus fully tested). Will be posted once I get home

P.S. you don't have to use the bootinst.bat if BT3 was already installed on the key in question.
    waiting your Pics
    Impossible is impossible

Quote Originally Posted by omarara View Post
    waiting your Pics
    Up now, had to get back home from College. Its a long bus ride

Just burned his ISO

i also cant get this to work. (yes i did everything EXACTLY as you showed it pic by pic). Any ideas?

Here are the contents of my syslinux.cfg file ( i put them 4th and 5th so i could get to them quicker, and yes i tried at the end to)

Code:
    PROMPT 0
    TIMEOUT 40
    DEFAULT /boot/vesamenu.c32

LABEL cubez
    MENU LABEL BT3 Graphics mode (Compiz) - Experimental
    KERNEL /boot/vmlinuz
    APPEND vga=0x317 initrd=/boot/initrd.gz ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw chexpand=256 load=cubez autoexec=xconf;cubez;startx

LABEL cubez
    MENU LABEL BT3 Graphics mode (Compiz Nvidia) - Experimental
    KERNEL /boot/vmlinuz
    APPEND vga=0x317 initrd=/boot/initrd.gz ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw chexpand=256 load=cubez,nvidiadriver autoexec=xconf;startnvidia.sh;startx

LABEL xconf1
    MENU LABEL BT3 Graphics mode (KDE)
    KERNEL /boot/vmlinuz
    APPEND vga=0x317  initrd=/boot/initrd.gz ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw autoexec=xconf;kdm

LABEL BT4
    MENU LABEL BT4 Beta - Console
    KERNEL /boot/beta.vmlinuz
    APPEND vga=0x317 initrd=/boot/beta.initrd.gz ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw quiet

LABEL BT4
    MENU LABEL BT4 Beta - Console no FB
    KERNEL /boot/beta.vmlinuz
    APPEND initrd=/boot/beta.initrd.gz ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw quiet

LABEL xconf2
    MENU LABEL BT3 Graphics mode (Flux)
    KERNEL /boot/vmlinuz
    APPEND vga=0x317  initrd=/boot/initrd.gz ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw autoexec=xconf;flux

LABEL startx
    MENU LABEL BT3 Graphics mode (VESA KDE)
    KERNEL /boot/vmlinuz
    APPEND vga=0x317 initrd=/boot/initrd.gz ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw autoexec=kdm

LABEL BT3
    MENU LABEL BT3 Text mode Frame Buffer
    KERNEL /boot/vmlinuz
    APPEND vga=0x317 initrd=/boot/initrd.gz ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw

LABEL BT3_no_DHCP
    MENU LABEL Run BT3 no DHCP
    KERNEL /boot/vmlinuz
    APPEND vga=0x317 initrd=/boot/initrd.gz ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw nodhcp

LABEL BT3_no_HD
    MENU LABEL Run BT3 no Hard Disk
    KERNEL /boot/vmlinuz
    APPEND vga=0x317 initrd=/boot/initrd.gz ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw nohd

LABEL BT3_Safe
    MENU LABEL Run BT3 Safe Mode
    KERNEL /boot/vmlinuz
    APPEND vga=normal initrd=/boot/initrd.gz ramdisk_size=6666 
    root=/dev/ram0 rw

LABEL pchanges
    MENU LABEL BT3 Graphics mode with Persistent Changes
    KERNEL /boot/vmlinuz
    APPEND vga=0x317 initrd=/boot/initrd.gz ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw changes=/changes/slaxsave.dat autoexec=xconf;kdm

LABEL copy2ram
    MENU LABEL BT3 Graphics mode, Copy To RAM
    KERNEL /boot/vmlinuz
    APPEND vga=0x317 initrd=/boot/initrd.gz ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw copy2ram autoexec=xconf;kdm

LABEL msramdmp
    MENU LABEL msramdmp
     com32 /boot/msramdmp.c32

LABEL memtest86
    MENU LABEL Run Memtest utility
    KERNEL /boot/mt86p

The same here i did all these steps several times , i am using USB Hard Disk i dont think that the method will change !
    i even see that when i try to rename vmlinuz to beta.vmlinuz windows change it's extension to *.vmlinuz i tried to change the name to betavmlinuz but it still didnt work
    Impossible is impossible

After you all complete the steps, are you seeing the bootmenu when you try to boot? If not, then i suggest you run the bootinst.bat. I'm finding it really hard to find the step i've missed, those pictures I posted are me doing it to my friends BT3 usbkey. I screenshotted every step I took, and when i was done, the key booted fine.

Theres obviously something missing, somehow, somewhere. This will launch me deeper into insanity.

Quote Originally Posted by omarara View Post
    The same here i did all these steps several times , i am using USB Hard Disk i dont think that the method will change !
    i even see that when i try to rename vmlinuz to beta.vmlinuz windows change it's extension to *.vmlinuz i tried to change the name to betavmlinuz but it still didnt work
    if you change the file name to betavmlinuz you have to also change it in the syslinux.cfg (just making sure, trying to cover all the bases)

edit: just realized i double posted, feeling kind of dumb

Just burned his ISO

Yes i get to the boot menu with all the options of what to boot into, but when i click on one of the BT4 ones, it just reloads the boot menu, and starts the auto timer unless you hit a key.

After you all complete the steps, are you seeing the bootmenu when you try to boot? If not, then i suggest you run the bootinst.bat. I'm finding it really hard to find the step i've missed, those pictures I posted are me doing it to my friends BT3 usbkey. I screenshotted every step I took, and when i was done, the key booted fine.

Theres obviously something missing, somehow, somewhere. This will launch me deeper into insanity.
    Look , sure we can see the boot menu this is not our problem cause we changed the *.cfg file .our problem is when we choose BT4 option from boot menu it just do nothing the boot menu stand still nothing happens
    is there anyone could help !
    Impossible is impossible

Just burned his ISO

if you change the file name to betavmlinuz you have to also change it in the syslinux.cfg (just making sure, trying to cover all the bases)

i also tried changing the name of the file and in the syslinux file that didnt work either

Dont worry about it, and thanks sooooo much for tring to help us out!

i also tried to copy all folders or files from BT4's boot folder which is not included in BT3' Boot folder , but it is a dead end
    Impossible is impossible

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast