Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: BackTrack 4 First Impressions

Default Just thinking about firewalls on BT4 Beta?

I was just wondering, I know BT4 beta rocks, but I could not help but wonder what everyone else is using in terms of a firewall for BT4.

http://beginlinux.wordpress.com/2008...-firewall-gui/

I was using this (ufw) via Konsole, then I decided to use the GUI, and installed it via synaptic.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by FrankFruter View Post
    My 1st,2nd & 3rd impression of BT4beta,What a waste of bandwidth.You call this a professional pentest disto,it Looks ,Feels, Acts,& SOUNDS like a 15 yr old put this together on a sunday morning after drinking all night.I recomend you take this offline as soon as possible ,and maybe everybody will forget this even happened.
    So really now and you think you can do better or have a better security related distro somewhere?

How DARE you insult the people who have given up so much of themselves to make this possible.
    I totaly agree! Some people like you just have to be eliminated. Feel so sory for guys like you...

Just burned his ISO

Default iptables

Quote Originally Posted by Oktet View Post
    I was just wondering, I know BT4 beta rocks, but I could not help but wonder what everyone else is using in terms of a firewall for BT4.

hxxp://beginlinux.wordpress.com/2008/11/23/ubuntu-810-uncomplicated-firewall-gui/

I was using this (ufw) via Konsole, then I decided to use the GUI, and installed it via synaptic.
    I'm currently doing a uni coursework on iptables, and you could do a lot worse than to use that. It's definitely included in BT3, haven't tried BT4 yet.

Although it looks a lot scarier trying to configure your firewall from the command line, you can get really fine-grain control over its behaviour, and learning to use it will probably really help gel TCP/IP and firewall topics together if you aren't an expert yet (like most of us).

Another advantage of iptables is that it's installed on most Linux distros, and Solaris, and BSD, etc. So it's a good one to learn, since the knowledge you gain will be applicable for a wide range of OSs.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234