Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BackTrack 4 First Impressions

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default BackTrack 4 First Impressions

Sorry for posting this here, but I'm unable to post in the "BackTrack 4 Beta Public Released" forum under Announcements. I just downloaded and tried the new BackTrack 4 Public Beta, and overall, It looks really good. Thanks for such an excellent release! There are a few things that could be improved, however... BackTrack 4 Beta first impressions - Quite a few valuable tools seem to have been removed... things like Charon and SpoonWep that could've easily been included aren't there yet... although I know how to crack WEP keys manually using aircrack-ng, it's probably a good idea to include SpoonWEP for those who are new to the concept of wireless cracking. Also, I much preferred the old Wireless Assistant over KNetworkManager, at least for Wireless connections. Fast Track appears to be broken, as I get a message saying that python can't find fast-track.py. I don't see a need for Wine to be installed, as most tools can be run natively in the Linux Environment, but there's no harm done by having it there. The "Conky" statistics feature is cool, but it overlaps the background, making it hard to read. Other than that it's actually a REALLY nice new look. I realize this is just a beta, and there is probably a lot more work to do before the final release, but overall, it's really a rather nice set of security tools. The RFID tools are quite an interesting addition. Can't wait to see further improvements, keep up the great work! Once again, thanks a lot for the release, I know you guys have been working really hard on this release, and I can't wait until BackTrack 4 Final is done!

Quote Originally Posted by aliendude5300 View Post
    although I know how to crack WEP keys manually using aircrack-ng, it's probably a good idea to include SpoonWEP for those who are new to the concept of wireless cracking.
    I contradict you here. That is exactly not what these tools are meant for. If one knows how to do it and did it numerous times tools like SpoonWEP are good for saving time. But if people don't know how it is working they should start to learn how it is working instead of just using an automated tool, pointing it at an AP and get in (more or less).
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Default fast-track-ownage in 3 minutes or less.

"Fast Track appears to be broken, as I get a message saying that python can't find fast-track.py."

What version of fast-track.py is it, I have not yet had a chance to download BT4 Beta, but I will start to download it as soon as I am done with my homework.

Last time I checked there was a newer version that guarantees pwnage in a mere 3 minutes.

Tested on BT3 Final , had issues with dependencies on BT2 Final (due to time constraints I opted to just use BT3 Final), still to test on BT4 Beta.

http://svn.thepentest.com/fasttrack
    Fast-Track Developement Team, thank you.

Well my first impressions aren't all that great then agian i looked at it for about 3 minutes haven't really looked into it that much so im probably wrong but it doesn't seem to like my eee pc the wifi doesn't seem to be easily compatible with the new backtrack, but the audio now works lol ill have to look into it more but its defenetly different then 3 that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by dragracekid View Post
    Well my first impressions aren't all that great then agian i looked at it for about 3 minutes haven't really looked into it that much so im probably wrong but it doesn't seem to like my eee pc the wifi doesn't seem to be easily compatible with the new backtrack, but the audio now works lol ill have to look into it more but its defenetly different then 3 that's for sure.
    It's been working with my wifi all weekend on my eeepc.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO

Default Some problems

I like this new version.But it have some problems.I have installed kopete,pidgin,thunderbird.But when i use one of this programs ,after a while ,they dissapear from taskbar and i have to start once again one of this applications.I can't use airoscript.It does not work.And netdiscover it give me some errors.

"Also, I much preferred the old Wireless Assistant over KNetworkManager, at least for Wireless connections."

Yeah, I am also having issues with the Wifi:

I have enabled dhcp on boot and know that's working, according to Mut's instructions. /etc/init.d/networking start

I have also done this:
    update-rc.d networking defaults (to enable networking at boot).

And finally this:
    /etc/init.d/NetworkManager (to start wireless networking).

Sure enough I log in, get the "Finish him" sound and try to go to my LabZ router with no success. I can see at least three interfaces on the KNetworkManager: eth1, ath0, and eth0.
    It also says eth1 Disconnected, ath0 Disconnected, and eth0 Umanaged.

So now I got this small icon of a cog wheel that is representing the Kmanager doing something since the cog wheel is turning slowly, this is fun but a major time hog.

I was actually thinking since this is based on Ubuntu, maybe I should be hitting up the Ubunut Forums-lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    It's been working with my wifi all weekend on my eeepc.
    What model do you have, I have a 904ha and even with the networking command at the beginning it doesn't recognize my wireless. The ar5007eg I believe.

What model do you have, I have a 904ha and even with the networking command at the beginning it doesn't recognize my wireless. The ar5007eg I believe.
    I'm in the same boat. Have ran the suggested commands but with no success. When I run

Code:
    wlanconfig list ap
    it shows my APs, and when I try to connect via console it adds the essid under iwconfig, but never really connects.

My card is the WPN311. PCI card, Atheros chipset.

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

701 You know, the good one....
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast