Thread: Alfa AWUS036H with BT3 Vmware Issues

Just burned his ISO

Default Alfa AWUS036H with BT3 Vmware Issues

When I connect my Alfa usb device to the BT3 VM...the following commands work fine:

iwconfig
    iwconfig wlan0 mode monitor
    ifconfig wlan0 down

But if I do:

ifconfig wlan0 up
    or
    airmon-ng start wlan0
    or
    airodump-ng wlan0

They all just hang...can't ctrl-c out or anything...I have to disconnect the device from the VM.

I've used my Alfa usb flawlessly with both the cd and usb distros...so not sure what's up...assuming something to do with vmware?

Ideas?

Many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tornalis View Post
    When I connect my Alfa usb device to the BT3 VM...the following commands work fine:

iwconfig
    ifconfig wlan0 down

But if I do:

ifconfig wlan0 up
    or
    airmon-ng start wlan0
    or
    airodump-ng wlan0

They all just hang...can't ctrl-c out or anything...I have to disconnect the device from the VM.

I've used my Alfa usb flawlessly with both the cd and usb distros...so not sure what's up...assuming something to do with vmware?

Ideas?

Many thanks.
    For VM you have to give it authority to take over USB devices. Read up on it, it's a fairly simple task.

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

There are a couple issues with VM's and doing the strange things we do with USB wireless cards:

1. Your hardware needs to support USB 2.0
    2. You need to upgrade your Virtual Machine (the image) to the latest version of VM that you are using (you need 6.0 or newer to fully support USB 2.0)

I use VM Workstation 6.5 and once I upgraded my image, most of the problems I was having went away.

There is more info on the aircrack-ng site about these issues.

Just burned his ISO

Default VMware 6.5 and above

Make sure you use the latest ver. of Vmware, it should works well and I dont have any problem with the Alfa or any usb base connection (mostly).

Just burned his ISO

Default Thanks

Agreed, updating the VM to 6.5 does help, no doubt, with the usb 2.0 support...and though I do still encounter occasional hangs, it's not nearly as bad as it was without the update...usually disconnecting and reconnecting the device sorts it out.

Found Deathray's post last night, so sorry for the redundant post.
    Thanks for your replies.

And let me also state that BT3 in a VM is frickin awesome!

Tornalis

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Tornalis View Post

iwconfig
    ifconfig wlan0 down

But if I do:

ifconfig wlan0 up
    or
    airmon-ng start wlan0
    or
    airodump-ng wlan0

Ideas?

Many thanks.
    i have the last update version of vmware but still when i type: ifconfig wlan0 up my alfa usb card doesn't work in vmware.... i can onlly press ctrl +c

Just burned his ISO

i'm using vmvare fusion, had the same problem as you, solution:

disable some kind of network manager in BT3, simply right click on the icon on the taskbar, and quit. everything works fine after that

Just burned his ISO

Exclamation

Hello, i've been a lurker on these forums for a little while now & alot of these posts are very much helpful & Im quite thankful to all that are willing to spare that extra information someone may need! I'd like to shed light on this particular thread because I, also, am having this issue... I have downloaded the latest VMware Workstation 6.5.2 & I am using Backtrack 3 Final & also using the very popular Alfa AWUS036H I have been experiencing the EXACT same problems as Tornalis & I have downloaded the most recent VMware to see if this would fix my issue, but to no prevail. Is their anything that I may be missing? Any patch for BT3 that may be needed? Thank you.