Thread: wlan0 ~ wifi0 connection problems

Just burned his ISO

Exclamation wlan0 ~ wifi0 connection problems

Hey all

I know there has been a bunch of post re: something similar but i have spent the past 4 days trying to find a resolution for this problem, and have not no where.

to start off i have a toshiba satellite a105-s4014 it has an intel 3945abg card built in.

The problem is i cannot connect to the internet at all via an open access point

here is what i have tried so far:

Code:
    wireless assistant - connection failed 
    iwconfig wlan0 up - unrecognised wireless request "up"
    iwconfig wlan0 essid linksys channel 6 
    dhcpcd wlan0 - no response: ifconfig shows only loopback address
    when changing drivers

Code:
    modprobe -r iwl3945
    modprobe ipwraw
    my wireless assistant shows no networks

Code:
    iwconfig wifi0 essid linksys channel 6 - set failed on device wifi0: operation not supported
    now here is the tic all the air-ng programs work fine with no problems and wep, wpa cracking is a breeze.... i just cannot connect to a network.

If this has been resolved already and you know the correct thread to look into please let me know.... i know how annoying it is to have the same question asked a million times....

thanks in advance

MrChris

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MrChris View Post
    wireless assistant - connection failed
    Don't use wireless assistant.

iwconfig wlan0 up - unrecognised wireless request "up"
    That should be ifconfig with an f.

iwconfig wlan0 essid linksys channel 6
    dhcpcd wlan0 - no response: ifconfig shows only loopback address
    Try this:

iwconfig wlan0 mode managed
    iwconfig wlan0 essid linksys key off
    ifconfig wlan0 up
    dhclient wlan0 (or if you prefer, dhcpcd wlan0)

And To view networks in range:

airodump-ng wlan0

Using airodump will put your card into monitor mode, so always remember to switch back to managed mode afterwards with: iwconfig wlan0 mode managed.

iwconfig wifi0 essid linksys channel 6 - set failed on device wifi0: operation not supported
    I've had the same problem with setting channel on my Alfa 500 mW. You don't need to set the channel if you give the essid. However if there's identical essid's in range, I specify the AP:

iwconfig wlan0 essid linksys key off ap 00:01:02:03:04:05
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

Just burned his ISO

hey Virchanza thanks for looking it over after much reading i ended up seeing my mistake the whole ifconfig vs iwconfig... People that take the time to help us noobs rock and i really appreciate it. To bad there is no point system i can give you a star for or anything like that

MrChris

Just burned his ISO

Default Thanks Virchanza you rock!!!

double post

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MrChris View Post
    when specifying an essid for iwconfig, what do i do when there is a space in the name ex "linksys 01"
    Use inverted commas:

Code:
    iwconfig wlan0 essid "Monkeys live in trees" key off
    By the way I have a quick Linux internet connection tutorial here:

http://virjacode.com/tutorials/linux_inet_connect.html
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

Also, if you load the raw drivers, you're stuck in monitor mode. You cannot connected to an AP with them. So when you have wifi0, you can airodump/aireplay, when you have wlan0, you can connect/surf the web.