Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows server 2003 now what?

Default Windows server 2003 now what?

So my boss let me use his copy of server 2003 to play around with, and quite frankly i dont know where to start i'm installing it one one of my dummy comps, but dont really know what to do after that any ideas?

setup some shares, put up a web server, ftp server, explore

ok this may be a stupid question but are there drivers for server 2003 im lost in this and am trying to get it online and i dont belive i will be able to because im not close to an ethernet port.

your not close to an ethernet port?! You can set up an Active Directory for fun, maybe create share folders as drakoth777 mentioned. Basically google servers, music servers, web servers, file servers, servers can be fun if you can make them useful! But if you arent connected to a network then a server is just a lightbulb.
    This is a hackers forum :P
    root ~# aircrack-ng pwnd-01.cap
    Lenovo Thinkpad R500, OS: Ubuntu 8.10, BackTrack3, Windows XP (VirtualBox), Windows Vista, Windows 7 beta

Just burned his ISO imported_irohs's Avatar

isn't this a forum for something else?..?.. i can't remember what, though.

i guess i would just install the OS, use CDs or a cross over cable to update all the patches, etc.. and then, with the cross over cable, use backtrack to hack at it.
    everytime you figure out a hack or exploit, learn how to strengthen w2k3 srvr to prevent it.

...or something like that.

What kind of connection does a crossover use on each computer? Is it ad-hoc or PPP? How do you configure(using a terminal) a crossover connection on each computer?

Quote Originally Posted by irohs View Post
    isn't this a forum for something else?..?.. i can't remember what, though.

i guess i would just install the OS, use CDs or a cross over cable to update all the patches, etc.. and then, with the cross over cable, use backtrack to hack at it.
    everytime you figure out a hack or exploit, learn how to strengthen w2k3 srvr to prevent it.

...or something like that.
    Thats what im planing i just have a problem getting the comp to the network so i guess ill have to try a little harder thank u

Quote Originally Posted by drakoth777 View Post
    What kind of connection does a crossover use on each computer? Is it ad-hoc or PPP? How do you configure(using a terminal) a crossover connection on each computer?
    Just connect the crossover cable and put IP from same subnet in both of the computers & they will communicate.the simple rule is

straight through cable=when using dissimilar devices
    cross over cable=when using similar device like ethernet to ethernet NIC connection
    roll over=console cable for accessing routers/firewalls/switches/IPS systems
    there is also mix meshed cable having no standard color code followed as by crossover/straight-through.they works both in place of straight & crossover.

So I went out and got a crossover cable and tried it out I know im missing something i tried to set up the computers as the same ip (2 windows computers) and i still get limited or no connectivity on both i only used 2 windows cuz I dont know how to change my backtrack ip, is it the cable or am I just messing it up?

You can't have two computers sharing the same IP, just like there is no possibility of having the same house numbers for two or more houses on the same street.

Do read networking and get used to basics. For some reason most of these questions seems illogical.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast