Thread: Problem exiting X to install nvidia driver under USB persistent changes

Default Problem exiting X to install nvidia driver under USB persistent changes

hello, I'm having real difficulties exiting X server to install my nvidia drivers downloaded from their website. I have tried Ctrl+Alt+Backspace but this just closes it and instanlty reboots it back up again. Ctrl+Alt+Backspace makes the screen go black and cannot see a thing I have tried closing the process from ps aux but instantly boots back up again as soon as it closes.. I dont have a clue how to do this and have been searching around but to no avail. Could someone possibly help me with this issue? much appreciated

If you are trying to keep X from starting, you could just temporarly modify the /boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg file by removing "autoexec=xconf;kdm" (or whatever it says for the boot choice you use).

To keep X from restarting when you press CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE, modify your xorg.conf by either modifying or adding the following line:

Code:
    Section "ServerFlags"
        Option "DontZap"  "yes"
    EndSection

thanks alot cybsnpr, that worked very well for me! ..you probably saved me countless hours lol Tc, ecs

Developer

ctrl - alt - f2 works as well I think.

I couldn't get ctrl+alt~f2 to work either but all is sorted now anyhow. cheers for the help

"Ctrl + Alt + F6" Will break you out to a shell.
    Best thing to do then it "Alt + F1" to get to TTY1 and the logon and run:

Type the follow to list all running process
    Code:
    #ps aux
    Find an listings for "XDM" and enter the PID number in for the x's.

Code:
    #kill -9 xxxxx