Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: BackTrack 4 Beta - Shmoocon Pre Release

Quote Originally Posted by backt View Post
    I mean one of the DEVs...
    Yeah, riiiiiiiight.

Quote Originally Posted by Bytemaster View Post
    Don't judge me by the amount of postings

I don't _need_ it, i am just damn curious as i read, it is no longer slack based.

regards
    It's not the number of postings, but rather the nature of them.

The bottom line is that the Developers asked that it not be released, as a condition of giving it to those of us who attended shmoocon.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Sorry for the blasphemy, but what is the sense in withholding benedictional new BT4 from those people who hadn't had the chance to attend shmoocon? They are punished enough for not having the chance to go there.....

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Fancy View Post
    Sorry for the blasphemy, but what is the sense in withholding benedictional new BT4 from those people who hadn't had the chance to attend shmoocon? They are punished enough for not having the chance to go there.....
    Because that is what the Dev's wanted.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Developer

The reason is that they are making last minute changes and bug fix's which were discovered at shmoocon by the people who tested the pre-release. I wish every one would calm down. KMdave said it right when he asked "What is so urgent that you need bt4 for that you cant do now?" I havent seen one answer to that question only whining.

It is simply that the developers requested the beta not be released by anyone but themselves. They released it to those who attended with the condition that those who received a copy not distribute it anyone not at the con. If an attendee didn't want to go along with that condition, they were under no obligation to download the beta from the RE exhibit.

As to why the devs requested that condition, I could make several educated guesses, but in the end it would just be a guess.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    The reason is that they are making last minute changes and bug fix's which were discovered at shmoocon by the people who tested the pre-release. I wish every one would calm down. KMdave said it right when he asked "What is so urgent that you need bt4 for that you cant do now?" I havent seen one answer to that question only whining.
    Thanks for your comment pureh@te which is almost sufficently answering my question. Just to clear things: neither I'm whining nor I'm complaining nor I'm impatient. I just factually asked why it is like this.

Edit: and thanks Thorn for your answer.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Just to clear things: neither I'm whining nor I'm complaining nor I'm impatient. I just factually asked why it is like this.
    Unfortunately those types of post usually make the OP look silly and impatient. This is turn has the tendency to bring down a potentially good thread. And as responsible members of an ever growing community we should not take part in such things.

Everybody wants the "new shiny toy" but like all good kids at x-mas we must wait until it is time.

As for the "why it is like this" as was stated before that is just the way it is.
    There is really nothing to do or say about it.

cheers
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Default t500

works great on my t500

Quote Originally Posted by punkrokk View Post
    works great on my t500
    Etc...........

Just for reference - the usual BT beta sub-forums will go live shortly.
    In the interest of tidiness, please save such posts until then

Just burned his ISO

I dont get why so many people cannot simply wait. Do they understand that a public beta is not ready yet?
    The SM release is - in effect, a pre-beta, late alpha release is it not?
    Then there will be varous bug fixes implemented from what is gathered, and a final BETA will be released publically.

Private beta's work much better than a wide public beta, in the early testing phases. It allows the dev's to only need to address a small amount of recorded bugs, until the full public is released.

They have a lot of work on their hands - they do not need 1000 posts on the forum stating there is a bug with such and such... By limiting the number of testers, they have limited the workload of moderators and themselves, whilest still being able to address the serious bugs.

An excellent way to do it if you ask me.

Simply put - It just isn't ready yet guys - but soon

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast