Thread: Ettercap ARP poison - Alfa AWUS036H fail but Air Live Turbo-G el cheapo works?

Threaded View

Just burned his ISO

Question Ettercap ARP poison - Alfa AWUS036H fail but Air Live Turbo-G el cheapo works?

Hi,

I've been looking through numerous sources to try and track down what the problem could be but I'm stumped. Using Backtrack 4 final and tried this on both USB and VMWare versions (VMware on workstation and USB thumbdrive on HP laptop).

I've tested ARP poisoning (MITM with Ettercap) with 4 wireless cards but can only get it to work on one.

Cards:

1) AWUS036H 500mW (tried both rtl8187 & r8187 modules) - No poisoning
    2) AWUS036H 1000mW (tried both rtl8187 & r8187 modules) - No posoning
    3) Internal HP laptop wifi (Intel 4965 according to airmon-ng) - No poisoning
    4) USB Air Live Turbo-G (Ralink 2573 USB rt73usb) - Poisoning process succesful!

I've made the changes to ettercap.conf:

a) ec_uid and ec_gid is set to root (0)
    b) Uncommented the two lines "redir_command_on = "iptables..." and "redir_command_off = "iptables..."

Using Wireshark I can see that requests are coming through even if it says the "No ARP poisoning at all" in ettercap, but it significantly hinders the connection between Target 1 and Target 2. Websites fail to load up and slow to a crawl. With the Air Live USB card it works like a charm, no slow downs or timeouts and logging into sites like GMAIL, Facebook etc all comes up with the typical certificate warning where I don't have any of that luck with the other 3 cards.

I've tested ARP injection with the AWUS036H cards and they both inject without any problems (aireplay-ng -9 <interface>). Quite easily cracked WEP and can use all 4 cards with WICD without any problems.

Why would my "better" cards be struggling? Anyone with an Alfa poisoning ARP succesfully? Any other information I can provide to clarify my setup?

Any help much appreciated!
    Last edited by mythan; 02-24-2010 at 11:31 PM.