Thread: All-Inclusive Forensics Distro?

Just burned his ISO

Question All-Inclusive Forensics Distro?

Hi

I have a question concerning the following Linux distributions:

- Backtrack
    - Helix
    - Auditor
    - Caine
    - DEFT Linux
    - STD - Security Tools Distribution (Knoppix)
    - nUbuntu
    - Whax

I want to install Linux, but want to make sure that I have all the tools and features from all of the aforementioned distributions. What I'm wondering is: do any one of the above distributions already include everything that the other distributions I listed include? Or will I have to install more than one of these distributions on my system if I want to have all of the tools and features? Which ones?

Thanks

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Default Re: All-Inclusive Forensics Distro?

I would say Back|Track is probably the best well-rounded distro available. I've used Deft 5.0 and it is mainly a forensics oriented distro, I've also used Nubuntu which is a decent distro, lacking in tools though in my opinion. I've also used STD but don't think they've had any updates in a while (I aplologize to their team if I am mistaken) and I've used Pentoo which is close to BackTrack but on a Gentoo base. And then there is also Matriux, a somewhat new distro with pentest/forensic tools as well.

You can add most of the extra forensics tools to Back|Track with very little problem thereby giving you, imho the best, most well-rounded distro.
    I may have been born with a silver spoon in my mouth but it does not mean I like to be spoon fed.

just to point out some issues with this...

1) you came to a backtrack thread to ask are other products better then back track
    2) your asking with no experience are the other tools having "more tools" then back track

sooooo I dont see what your looking to glean from this post. The answer I would professionally give you is stick with windows. that said..

you might want to try them all out and first answer for your self... what are you trying to learn or do...

check out Hack From A Cave which has a copy of just about everything in one tool. this is not really a installable but a swiss army of all the distros and what they do to help you understand why asking "I WANT ALL TOOLS" is goofy.

2nd this is just a copy of ubuntu that you can install whatever you want into it. the backtrack team just maintains a full working set of tools for the sanity of others so they dont have to

backtrack also has this nice learning thread where people only lightly beat up on you for your questions

there are also videos and arguably the most 'nub3s' working with backtrack so if your smart and use serch engines your questions have already been asked ... somewhere.

my 2cents.

Just burned his ISO

Smile Re: All-Inclusive Forensics Distro?

Thanks, guys!

Quote Originally Posted by skinnypuppy View Post
    I would say Back|Track is probably the best well-rounded distro available. I've used Deft 5.0 and it is mainly a forensics oriented distro, I've also used Nubuntu which is a decent distro, lacking in tools though in my opinion. I've also used STD but don't think they've had any updates in a while (I aplologize to their team if I am mistaken) and I've used Pentoo which is close to BackTrack but on a Gentoo base. And then there is also Matriux, a somewhat new distro with pentest/forensic tools as well.

You can add most of the extra forensics tools to Back|Track with very little problem thereby giving you, imho the best, most well-rounded distro.
    Any ideas on how I can find out the full list of the tools offered on each of the distros I mentioned, or will I just have to live-boot each one and manually have a look? And hmmm, a couple more distros for me to play with--thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by spudgunman View Post
    just to point out some issues with this...

1) you came to a backtrack thread to ask are other products better then back track
    2) your asking with no experience are the other tools having "more tools" then back track

sooooo I dont see what your looking to glean from this post. The answer I would professionally give you is stick with windows. that said..

you might want to try them all out and first answer for your self... what are you trying to learn or do...

check out Hack From A Cave which has a copy of just about everything in one tool. this is not really a installable but a swiss army of all the distros and what they do to help you understand why asking "I WANT ALL TOOLS" is goofy.

2nd this is just a copy of ubuntu that you can install whatever you want into it. the backtrack team just maintains a full working set of tools for the sanity of others so they dont have to

backtrack also has this nice learning thread where people only lightly beat up on you for your questions

there are also videos and arguably the most 'nub3s' working with backtrack so if your smart and use serch engines your questions have already been asked ... somewhere.

my 2cents.
    A good two cents--but worth more than that, indeed!

It's not that I want all the tools available to any linux distro, but rather only from the ones I mentioned (and also the two that spudgunman was kind enough to name). It is my mistake that I wrote 'forensics' in the thread's title, but I meant forensics, networking, etc. (all the different tools in the distros listed here).

And I think I'll have to take your advice to try them all out.

And if either of you two or anyone else has more to offer, a noob like me is always appreciative of whatever helpful tips or advice you may have to offer!

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by nwohak View Post
    Any ideas on how I can find out the full list of the tools offered on each of the distros I mentioned, or will I just have to live-boot each one and manually have a look? And hmmm, a couple more distros for me to play with--thanks!
    There is an entry in our FAQ forum answering this for BackTrack. The BackTrack forum is not the best place to ask where you can find lists of tools included on those other distributions.

Quote Originally Posted by nwohak View Post
    It's not that I want all the tools available to any linux distro, but rather only from the ones I mentioned (and also the two that spudgunman was kind enough to name). It is my mistake that I wrote 'forensics' in the thread's title, but I meant forensics, networking, etc. (all the different tools in the distros listed here).
    Those are all different specialties with different sets of tools, and there is just about no chance that you will be able to use them all or will even need them all. If you are interested in pen testing and to a lesser extent incident response or certain types of computer forensics tasks install BackTrack and if there are any tools that you actually do want to use not installed by default its likely that you will be able to install them from the rather comprehensive repositories.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.