Thread: choosing a laptop: how much power do I really need?

Question choosing a laptop: how much power do I really need?

I'm faced with 2 different options and I can't seem to find what would be best to run backtrack off of. There's notebooks and there's really dumbed-down notebooks. Regardless of desktops, what are your guys experiences with netbooks? Do they have enough computing power to run the software that backtrack offers? The weight of a laptop wouldn't bother me, I'm just trying to figure out..How much power do I really need? e.g.: using hydra/medusa (processing wordlists/brute force), aircrack-ng, compiling code...anything processor intensive.

I like the idea of a netbook, just afraid it's not all it's cracked up to be other then what they advertise it for.. web surfing.
    There will be no shelter here. The front-line is everywhere.

I think there are enough reviews and comments on the netbooks like the EEE PC. Just try the search for it.

It also depends on what you want to achieve. Basically it is enough to run all the tools. It's all a matter of time.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Good friend of the forums

Quote Originally Posted by nokuku4u View Post
    I'm faced with 2 different options and I can't seem to find what would be best to run backtrack off of. There's notebooks and there's really dumbed-down notebooks. Regardless of desktops, what are your guys experiences with netbooks? Do they have enough computing power to run the software that backtrack offers? The weight of a laptop wouldn't bother me, I'm just trying to figure out..How much power do I really need? e.g.: using hydra/medusa (processing wordlists/brute force), aircrack-ng, compiling code...anything processor intensive.

I like the idea of a netbook, just afraid it's not all it's cracked up to be other then what they advertise it for.. web surfing.
    It really depends on what you want to do with it. If the new netbook is only every going to handle backtrack functions then the EEE is pretty good. You can store the password hashes on the EEE and transfer them to a Quad Core or i7 core PC to crack. I would not try to crack a password using a EEE.

If this netbook is going to be a general use (office documents, internet, email, etc) then get a regular laptop and dual boot fedora, ubuntu, gentoo with backtrack. Backtrack is not a general use OS.

If password cracking is your goal then get a PC.

Just my two cents,
    I like the bleeding edge, but I don't like blood loss

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by nokuku4u View Post

check out on this links good luck hxxp://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=14164&highlight=laptop