Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to get backtrack to work on a gps?

Just burned his ISO

Default how to get backtrack to work on a gps?

I have been having trouble figuring out if it would be possible to install backtrack 2 or 3 on a gps? I have done quite a bit of searching online and can't seem to find anything that can really help me on this subject, so if someone knows how to do this a tutorial/guide would be phenominal, but pointers or any advice would be welcome also.

Quote Originally Posted by Brics87 View Post
    I have been having trouble figuring out if it would be possible to install backtrack 2 or 3 on a gps? I have done quite a bit of searching online and can't seem to find anything that can really help me on this subject, so if someone knows how to do this a tutorial/guide would be phenominal, but pointers or any advice would be welcome also.
    On a GPS?

Better bet: Install BT3 Final on a laptop, then add the GPS functionality to the system.

I assume you want the GPS to perform a WiFi auditing of some kind, either around the block, or around a campus.

What works well:

1. Burn BT3 final to a CDROM, as a LiveCD.
    2. Boot the laptop with it.
    3. With a good view of the sky, insert your USB GPS device. Backtrack should immediately recognize the GPS device. Verify with this command:
    Code:
    ls -altr /dev/tts/
    You should see USB0 in the listing.

4. Now start gpsd:
    Code:
    gpsd /dev/tts/USB0
    5. Open kismet with this command:
    Code:
    start-kismet-ng
    Kismet will launch, and the screen should show Lattitude & Longitude stats near the bottom. At times, depending on your USB device, it may take a few minutes for correct Lat & Long numbers to appear. Be patient.

6. Kill kismet with Ctrl-C. Your kismet files will be available for analysis.

Enjoy.

well i had a gps recently that was a touch screen that also plugged into my pc through usb. the difficult part of this is removing the current firmware or os thats installed on the gps. in my case i couldnt remove the windows ce portable but then again i didnt do too much research on it. i think if you can figure out the specs on the gps and everything, it should be a doable task. again, i havent done too much research on this so i might be completly wrong.
    Until they become conscious they will never rebel, and until after they have rebelled they cannot become conscious...

Very good friend of the forum TAPE's Avatar

Thanks for that info kidFromBigD !

I recently got a GPS USB device and only had a chance to use it today.

It did take a while to get the satellites, but eventually it did.
    (cursing the damn battery life on my eee tho..need extra battery pack)

Now to figure out how to get it on Google Earth for kicks !

edit
    ---

Well have to say that KNSGEM seems to be pretty much perfect for getting it on Google Earth.
    Will be playing happily with this for a while

Quote Originally Posted by =TAPE= View Post
    Thanks for that info kidFromBigD !

I recently got a GPS USB device and only had a chance to use it today.

It did take a while to get the satellites, but eventually it did.
    (cursing the damn battery life on my eee tho..need extra battery pack)

Now to figure out how to get it on Google Earth for kicks !

edit
    ---

Well have to say that KNSGEM seems to be pretty much perfect for getting it on Google Earth.
    Will be playing happily with this for a while
    http://earth.google.com/enterprise/earth_pro.html
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Thanks Barry !

But I am a cheapskate... brought up by thrifty parents and all that

KNSGEM seems to do what I would like so far, should I get more into it then maybe (probably only after a few beers) I'll look further !

Besides google earth pro, are there any other packages that will do the same as KNSGEM and create .kml files ?

knsgem works fine, however I cannot get it to NOT show the labels of the ssids or mac addresses and
    with the amount of APs around me (possibly the cause of the wife's frequent headaches ?) it gets very..very cluttered..

Besides google earth pro, are there any other packages that will do the same as KNSGEM and create .kml files ?

knsgem works fine, however I cannot get it to NOT show the labels of the ssids or mac addresses and
    with the amount of APs around me (possibly the cause of the wife's frequent headaches ?) it gets very..very cluttered..
    Anybody have the links from the "Radio Reconnaissance in Penetration Testing - All Your RF Are Belong to Us" talk at the con?
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

There has to be a config file of some sort that controls the labeling. IF you can find it you can probably just comment out that line....

EDIT: http://www.rjpi.com/knsgem_files/image296.jpg From these it looks like they can be disabled somehow....

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowKill View Post
    There has to be a config file of some sort that controls the labeling. IF you can find it you can probably just comment out that line....
    That would work too...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast