Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Before I start.

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Just burned his ISO
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    5

    Default Before I start.

    What steps do i need to do to be current. download exploits? update kernel? how can i check to see if my setup is current. And if i do have to update how does this work with a livecd.. Do I download files to my hdd and point the cd to that directory?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,008

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bt3newbie View Post
    What steps do i need to do to be current. download exploits? update kernel? how can i check to see if my setup is current. And if i do have to update how does this work with a livecd.. Do I download files to my hdd and point the cd to that directory?
    Don't upgrade the kernel unless you really need to, for example the driver for your wireless card requires a newer kernel version. As far as other updates go it largely depends on what you want to do and which tools you plan on using. Many of the tools included in BT3 have received numerous upgrades since the BT3 was released, but unless you are going to use a program why update it?

    The easiest way to keep your distro up to date is to use an USB installation with persistent changes. This setup means that all changes/upgrades/additions you make during one session will be saved and transfer over to the next time you use BT3.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

  3. #3
    Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    8,012

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by =Tron= View Post
    This setup means that all changes/upgrades/additions you make during one session will be saved and transfer over to the next time you use BT3.
    Not to mention if one makes a mistake it is easy to fix or revert to a "fresh" install by deleting the changes folder.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,008

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by archangel.amael View Post
    Not to mention if one makes a mistake it is easy to fix or revert to a "fresh" install by deleting the changes folder.
    That is a very good point. Especially for beginners this is a true advantage compared to a real HDD installation, where fixing accidental alterations can be much more cumbersome.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

  5. #5
    Just burned his ISO
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    5

    Default

    so is it possible to update the data without installing to a usb drive?

  6. #6
    Developer balding_parrot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    3,399

    Default

    Before you start is is always a good idea to read and follow the forum rules


    • Use sensible descriptive titles in your posts - not titles such as "Please Help!!" or "Need Assistance" or "what Am I Doing Wrong?" etc

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •