Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: getting alfa usb wifi to work with BT3 ?

Just burned his ISO

Default getting alfa usb wifi to work with BT3 ?

Hey guys,
    Be gentle. I have an asus eee with standard linux o/s. I run BT3 of a sd card and have used it with the built in atheros card to test my network using spoonwep etc.
    Im looking for more range so have ordered the Alfa 500mw usb card. When it arrives is there anything I need to do, like when I put the atheros into monitor mode, is there a different sequence of things I need to do.
    I've only just got to grasps with airodump,aireplay etc so give it to me like im really simple !

The command needed to put the card into monitor mode is quite simple:
    Code:
    iwconfig wlan0 mode monitor
    To put it back into managed mode simply change the last word in the command to managed instead of monitor.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Just burned his ISO

Thats great, thanks for that, is the alfa AWUS036H unit plug and play or will I need any additional drivers for BT3 ?

Quote Originally Posted by ajpepe72 View Post
    Thats great, thanks for that, is the alfa AWUS036H unit plug and play or will I need any additional drivers for BT3 ?
    It will work out of the box.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Just burned his ISO

Received alfa unit this morning but when I plug it in when running BT3 it says new hardware found (wlan0) and asks me if I want to configure it, I click yes then it asks if I want to start wpa_supplicant for this interface, I click yes and it gives me a list of drivers to choose from.
    But when I choose any of them it gives a "Kwlan was unable to start wpa supplicant" error. says it may be due to system configuration,please check and try again.
    Any ideas ?
    Also when using this card in backtrack can I also use as normal to connect to internet or is it only for injecting etc in BT ?

Received alfa unit this morning but when I plug it in when running BT3 it says new hardware found (wlan0) and asks me if I want to configure it, I click yes then it asks if I want to start wpa_supplicant for this interface, I click yes and it gives me a list of drivers to choose from.
    But when I choose any of them it gives a "Kwlan was unable to start wpa supplicant" error. says it may be due to system configuration,please check and try again.
    Any ideas ?
    Also when using this card in backtrack can I also use as normal to connect to internet or is it only for injecting etc in BT ?
    This behaviour sounds curious as I have never noticed anything of the kind when plugging in a wireless device.

The card can be used both for injecting and monitor mode as well as for connecting to wireless networks the normal way. However, the driver included in BT3 does not support WPA/WPA2 encryption in managed mode but for a fix take a look at this thread.

Just burned his ISO

Ok, when I plug it in and open up a terminal and put in the command you gave for putting the alfa into monitor mode, and then run airodump-ng im getting a lot more ap's and at a better power than with the built in atheros card, so assume its working (even though the green led on alfa is not blinking, it blinks when used on windows machine).
    Could you give me an quick step by step idiots guide on which BT3 application and any commands to then use the card to actually connect to my internet and browse, ill turn my wpa off temporarily just to keep it simple.
    Thanks.

Ok, when I plug it in and open up a terminal and put in the command you gave for putting the alfa into monitor mode, and then run airodump-ng im getting a lot more ap's and at a better power than with the built in atheros card, so assume its working (even though the green led on alfa is not blinking, it blinks when used on windows machine).
    This is normal behaviour, using the built in driver in BT3.
    Could you give me an quick step by step idiots guide on which BT3 application and any commands to then use the card to actually connect to my internet and browse, ill turn my wpa off temporarily just to keep it simple.
    Thanks.
    If you are using no wireless encryption what so ever the following commands should provide you with a connection, if you have a dhcp server running.
    Code:
    rm /etc/dhcpc/*
    ifconfig wlan0 down
    iwconfig wlan0 essid "NetworkName"
    Ifconfig wlan0 up
    dhcpcd -nd wlan0
    If you are using WEP encryption add the following command after specifying the ESSID.
    Code:
    iwconfig wlan0 key yournetworkkey

Just burned his ISO

Great, thanks for that, Ive tried connecting through the wireless assistant to network but it keeps coming up "connection failed" then after a while it says "Wlan0 Disconnected" as if it disconnects itself, will try connecting using the commands you have provided.

Just burned his ISO

connects to internet fine when you do it manually through the terminal, no problems at all. Is there a reason it does not connect through the wireless assistant program ?
    Also am I right in thinking that if I want to run spoonwep or aireplay etc, I just need to give the card the monitor command ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast