Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Macbook pro Unibody + backtrack 3?

Quote Originally Posted by zerocool2207 View Post
    Hi there i quite don't understand how to make it work in vmware fusion..? Is there like some drivers to install because vmware fusion uses nat or bridge mode to get internet so no card is detected when i boot my backtrack cd with fusion...

I will look around on this forum to look after vmware fusion and backtrack. If you have any links it would be nice

Cheers!

ZeRoCooL
    Once again, vmware only uses usb devices for monitor, injection, etc.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Once again, vmware only uses usb devices for monitor, injection, etc.
    so as i understand i will need to use an external usb key to use backtrack 4 on my macbook unibody?! Because in a lot of computers wirelesscard are recognized as usb devices.

So will my internal wifi be recognized as a usb or must i buy an external wifi card?

ZeRoCooL

Quote Originally Posted by zerocool2207 View Post
    so as i understand i will need to use an external usb key to use backtrack 4 on my macbook unibody?! Because in a lot of computers wirelesscard are recognized as usb devices.

So will my internal wifi be recognized as a usb or must i buy an external wifi card?

ZeRoCooL
    If you're running vmware you have to use a usb card. I've not tried to boot my unibody macbookpro off my BT disk yet. Don't see the point, that's why I use supported hardware. I do know that my macbook will boot just fine and has monitor mode for the wifi card.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Very good friend of the forum hhmatt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    If you're running vmware you have to use a usb card. I've not tried to boot my unibody macbookpro off my BT disk yet. Don't see the point, that's why I use supported hardware. I do know that my macbook will boot just fine and has monitor mode for the wifi card.
    Wouldn't the point be to use the internal wifi card?

Quote Originally Posted by hhmatt81 View Post
    Wouldn't the point be to use the internal wifi card?
    No, I don't see the point running non mac operating systems on Apple hardware. They're not really designed with that in mind. They just recently starting allowing Windows on it. The nice thing is they provide the proper drivers for windows. Now that BackTrack is Ubuntu based it will probably be a bit easier, like I said, it boots just fine with my first gen intel MacBook. I just find it easier to use an older windows based laptop with known good hardware support. BackTrack works great on Macs in vmware, but you need a supported usb wifi adapter.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12