Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommendation for Router WRT54 needed

Quote Originally Posted by unix256 View Post
    Oh.. well i want to use the router mainly in a windows environment.
    So another version would be better?
    Eeh... I believe that what Biznatch pointed out was that if you are going to change out the firmware of the router anyway, there is no point in paying extra for a model which comes with another firmware than the standard one.

Even though the GL comes with linux firmware this does not mean it will not play nice in a Windows environment.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Developer

The GL just has linux firmware, so if you are going to upgrade to DD-WRT anyway, there is no need to pay extra for that model.
    When responding to a post you should explain your self a little better. The OP obviously has little knowledge on the subject and your post is very vauge. Also you should know what you are talking about, the whole basis for upgrading to open source firm ware is that the original platform is linux based so yes you want a linux based router

Its pretty hard to find a wrt54g version 1-4 which is what you need for dd-wrt or even better openwrt. The L is linksys way of bringing it back for people like us. IMO it is well worth it to pay a few extra buck for a brand new L rather than take your chances on ebay or go through the epic battle of getting dd-wrt on a version 5,6,7, or 8 only to find out only the micro firmware will fit.
    Unless you want to spend some serious cash on a badass router like a asus the I highly suggest getting a wrt54gL.

Default Never thought about that:

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    If you can manage it, run a wire to your other wrt. Copper is really the best way to go, well glass is better...
    That's a good idea, I will probably pick up some Copper or Glass when I get a chance.

Eh, Glass? I thought it was plastic.
    I have the card in me head, but you have the memory problems?

Quote Originally Posted by xCPPx View Post
    Eh, Glass? I thought it was plastic.
    Guess it depends on the grade. The crap I had to deal with was glass.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO

Thank you all for your answers. I will stick to the wrt54gL and buy it next week.

Just burned his ISO

Hey, sorry for another question.
    I went today to a shop to buy the WRT54GL router, but i found two versions:
    WRT54GL
    WRT54GL-EU
    I asked one from the shop, but he couldnt tell me where the difference was. Also i couldnt find a difference at the package, but the *-EU is a few euros cheaper.

Which version?

Quote from the 2nd link in a Google search.

WRT54GL has 11 channels

WRT54GL-EU should have 14 channels

Other than that they should be the same.
    WRT54GL
    WRT54GL-EU
    I asked one from the shop, but he couldnt tell me where the difference was. Also i couldnt find a difference at the package, but the *-EU is a few euros cheaper.

Which version?
    http://forums.linksys.com/linksys/bo...hread.id=22865

WRT54GL
    WRT54GL-EU

Which version?
    As far as I am aware, the EU version will, by default, allow 14 channels on the wifi, whereas the other one will probably be restricted to the 11 used by some countries outside of the EU.
    This is usually just a firmware enforced restriction which will become irrelevant if you flash it with dd-wrt or openwrt, etc.

This is very similar to the differences sometimes found on wifi cards, especially some Cisco ones, where they have country-specific versions. I made a post about this some time ago now if it's of any interest.

EDIT: BOFH139 - looks like I cross posted - anyway, looks like my assumption is probably correct then....

Just burned his ISO

Thanks again both of you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast