Thread: Dual Boot XP and BackTrack 3 -- LILO Question

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Question Dual Boot XP and BackTrack 3 -- LILO Question

Ok, I successfully installed BackTrack 3 to a partition on my harddrive and with a bit of searching and trial and error I edited the Lilo.conf file to allow me to boot into Windows XP as well.

My question is, how do I set the lilo.conf file so that it boots into Windows by default? I mean, I want to "swap" the positions of BackTrack 3 and Windows in the boot loader.

I included my lilo.conf file so you guys could look at it. Thank you!

Code:
    boot = /dev/sda
    prompt
    timeout = 1200
    #bitmap=/boot/splash.bmp
    change-rules
    reset
    #vga = 769,771/773/792
    vga = 769
    image = /boot/vmlinuz
        root = current
        label = BackTrack
        read-write

#Boot Windows
    other = /dev/sda1
    label = Windows_XP
    table = /dev/sda
    PS. Why on every guide I read do people use hda and all mine are sda?

Thanks in advance!

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

It's as simple as reversing their order in the config file. (There's also another way of doing it whereby you explicitly specify the default, but there's no need for that complication here).

Code:
    boot = /dev/sda
    prompt
    timeout = 500
    #bitmap=/boot/splash.bmp
    change-rules
    reset
    #vga = 769,771/773/792
    vga = 769

#Boot Windows
    other = /dev/sda1
    label = Windows_XP
    table = /dev/sda

image = /boot/vmlinuz
        root = current
        label = BackTrack
        read-write
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

Just burned his ISO

Ahh thank you very much! Indeed that did work extremely well.

1 more quick question... If I was to install another operating system like OSX, would it "overwrite" my MBR so I would have to go through hoops to get LILO to see it and XP & Backtrack? Or would LILO not see OSX and I would have ot add it manually?

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

I'm not familiar with Mac OS X setup, maybe it will give you the option of overwriting the MBR, maybe it won't.

If it doesn't, then just use a Linux LiveCD to change your Lilo configuration. You'll have to add the Mac OS X installation to your Lilo config file. I'm not sure how the entry would look in your config file, but you can always try copying the way it works for Windows paritions. First thing I'd do is Google for "dual boot linux mac lilo OR grub".
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".