Thread: Very slow and not loading X on Thinkpad X32

Just burned his ISO

Default Very slow and not loading X on Thinkpad X32

I have just installed BT3 Final USB (extended) on a 2GB USB stick and have found two problems with it.

I have BT3 Beta on another USB stick and it works perfectly.

Firstly, it boots at normal speed until you get the "starting Linux Live" message, then it slows to a crawl.

When it has booted, instead of going directly into X like the beta does I just get a command prompt with instructions. Logging in as root and running startx does load KDE, but it's still really slow.

As I say, the beta works fine. I have checked all the usual things like the MD5 sum of the downloaded ISO image. I checked the USB stick, it isn't that. I get the same result on another stick, and as I say the beta is fine on the same drive.

The light on the flash drive is constantly flashing as the system boots. Perhaps for some reason it is dropping back to USB 1 speed?

Just burned his ISO

Okay, a little update:

This issue affects some USB flash drives but not others. It seems to be random which are affected.

I have an "EasyDisk" 2GB drive which is fine. A SkyDrive2 4GB is also fine. I also have a much faster Kingson 1GB, a 2GB YCUS and a PicoBoost 2GB (super fast, ~12MB/sec write and ~30MB/sec read) which are all slow.

It's odd that the faster drives seem to suffer from this slowness bug. It must be something to do with what happens when the Live part takes over, because before that speed is fine.