Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: VERY slow internet browsing

MaxRabbit; In my experience, sometimes a router that is also a DHCP server will hand out an IP address and sometimes it won't.

But I think you hit the nail on the head with this quote:

Well, I'm not sure quite what connects, because it's automatically connected when I turn on the laptop. So, what could this be?

However, before I try more with the wireless troubleshooting, I'd like to get a better grasp on how this works period.
    As you are probably now aware, and it has also been pointed out on this forum numerous times, that backtrack is not a distro designed for those totally new to linux. A solid grasp of networking is highly recommended.

To help you on your way to learning more about networking in linux,
    use the man pages and lookup:

dhcpd
    dhcpclient
    ifconfig
    iwconfig
    route

Google for: linux networking

THIS link looked rather informative for someone new to linux networking.

Good Luck to you...

Quote Originally Posted by MaxRabbit View Post
    Oh, thank you Shadowkill-I hadn't seen your post as it must've come up when I was typing mine.

So now I have three solid suggestions-I'll go ahead and try those out tonight! Thank you
    You're quite welcome. Let us know what you find so that we may help you furthur if needed.

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

In my experience, sometimes a router that is also a DHCP server will hand out an IP address and sometimes it won't.

You mean your lack of experience ,because i have never had that experience
    in the last 12 1/2 years of me experience.
    :cool::cool::cool::cool:

FrankFurter;

in the last 12 1/2 years of me experience
    That was rude and unwarranted.

A. You don't know me or what my experience level is.
    B. I have had this problem occur with my students numerous times using SOHO wireless routers, otherwise I would have not stated so. I should have been more specific in my posting, my mistake on that part. I'm sure YMMV.
    C. If you want to "put them on the table and measure", I'll be at Shmoocon this weekend and will happily put my experience and resume up against anyone.

So as to not drag this thread, or forum down any further, by all means, PM me if you have further problems with my advice to members of this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by cybrsnpr View Post
    As you are probably now aware, and it has also been pointed out on this forum numerous times, that backtrack is not a distro designed for those totally new to linux. A solid grasp of networking is highly recommended.

To help you on your way to learning more about networking in linux,
    use the man pages and lookup:

dhcpd
    dhcpclient
    ifconfig
    iwconfig
    route

Google for: linux networking

THIS link looked rather informative for someone new to linux networking.

Good Luck to you...
    Okay, thank you! I am not new to Linux, but the distro that I am familiar with is Ubuntu; quite a bit different than this as far as networking especially.

I am going to take all of your suggestions, and I'm going to take some time to read up. Please, don't think I ignored your suggestions if it's a while before I post-time is just a little short right now and I really want to do my research before I post again with my results.

Thank you all who have kindly offered your suggestions so far

EDIT: Unnecessary bashing on my part. Just noticed he's being moderated.

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by FrankFruter View Post

in the last 12 1/2 years of me experience.
    So because you've never had that experience in your limited amount of time doing this work it cannot ever happen?

I can think of at least 1 big reason why a router sometimes wouldn't hand out an address even though it's a DHCP server, let's see if you can think of it in your vast experience.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    So because you've never had that experience in your limited amount of time doing this work it cannot ever happen?

I can think of at least 1 big reason why a router sometimes wouldn't hand out an address even though it's a DHCP server, let's see if you can think of it in your vast experience.
    I can

Because it has run out of leases.

Very good friend of the forum killadaninja's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    let's see if you can think of it in your vast experience.
    Overlapping scope
    Sometimes I try to fit a 16-character string into an 8–byte space, on purpose.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by balding_parrot View Post
    I can

Because it has run out of leases.
    That's one: Another could be it has DHCP but it's configured to only hand out reserved addresses.

It could be the DHCP daemon has crashed for whatever reason.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast