Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: VERY slow internet browsing

Developer

I think what thorn is trying to tell you is to use wireshark to watch the data packets or http request to see where they are bottle necking. To be honest on a eeepc with kde going and firefox and a few other apps its not going to be the fastest machine. Not only are you working with a 700mhz processor you also have a very small front side bus speed. I personally use a lighter desktop and a faster browser on my eeepc and have no trouble. Have you tried plugging in a ethernet cable and seeing if a land line makes any difference?

Quote Originally Posted by MaxRabbit View Post
    I don't expect anyone to do it for me! I've shown that I'm more than willing to search-but the "pointers" I am given are way too far out for a newbie like me to understand. And I'm not nearly as new as others! I have quite a bit of experience with Linux, but I'm new to Backtrack.

Excuse me? You think that your post isn't flaming? I know you're quite the reputable forum member, but if you weren't, how could posting two words to my question "drivers and wireshark" ever be considered appropriate help for the newbie area?

As I've said, I actually tried to take this suggestion! I searched around for wireshark-I didn't find anything that helped me understand why you posted it or what it could do for me.

As far as drivers, I'm sure that, yes, I need some for my wifi card to work. But obviously there are already drivers installed or it wouldn't work at all. So how am I supposed to have any idea to what you are suggesting?

Seriously, look around my other posts-I truly do appreciate someone willing to help. But those who are being deliberately unhelpful-why?
    Fore starters this is straight from the Madwifi WIKI:

Code:
    "Use sysctl -a | grep country to determine your current Country Code setting."

If the setting is wrong, you can use the command

Code:
    sudo modprobe ath_pci countrycode=#YourCodeHere
    The US country code, as found in a list HERE, is 840.

Now that took me about 6 seconds to find. This is why we get upset with people claiming to be helping themselve when it is obvious they have done no such thing, whether they believe they have or not.

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    I think what thorn is trying to tell you is to use wireshark to watch the data packets or http request to see where they are bottle necking. To be honest on a eeepc with kde going and firefox and a few other apps its not going to be the fastest machine. Not only are you working with a 700mhz processor you also have a very small front side bus speed. I personally use a lighter desktop and a faster browser on my eeepc and have no trouble. Have you tried plugging in a ethernet cable and seeing if a land line makes any difference?
    Thank you! My EEE PC is actually one of the newer ones-a 1.6 Ghz processor, 2 GB ram--a very efficient machine

So therefore I went right ahead to your suggestion of a wired connection. Worked perfectly! Everything loads extremely quickly.

Of course, I'd still like to get it working with wifi, if that's possible! Please just let me know what I should do to troubleshoot-event if that means using wireshark if you think I'd understand it!

Edit: After unplugging the ethernet, the wifi works fast. This would be great news, but after a reboot the problem comes back. Plug in the ethernet, and then unplug it, and it works fast again... Nothing else is changing-same access point, same location, same everything...

Developer

First off I would try the advice shadowkill gave you to determine your correct country code. Next I would I would try to unload and reload the drivers. That would be...
    rmmod ath_pci
    modprobe ath_pci

see if any of that helps.

Also let me ask you this: Are you using that shitty wireless assistant application to connect? That could very well be a problem as well. try a manual connection like this
    ifconfig ath0 up
    iwconfig ath0 essid (yours)
    dhcpcd ath0
    ping google.com

VERY slow internet browsing

Code:
    http://tinyurl.com/chveh9

Code:
    http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=52331
    :cool::cool::cool::cool:

Quote Originally Posted by FrankFruter View Post
    Code:
    http://tinyurl.com/chveh9

Code:
    http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=52331
    Dude, what the hell is it with the smileys? Just say what you're gonna say and leave that crap out of it.

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowKill View Post
    Dude, what the hell is it with the smileys? Just say what you're gonna say and leave that crap out of it.
    Second that. They are getting really annoying to look at in every single one of your posts.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Oh, thank you Shadowkill-I hadn't seen your post as it must've come up when I was typing mine.

So now I have three solid suggestions-I'll go ahead and try those out tonight! Thank you

MaxRabbit; I have an idea. Let me see if I can sum up what you are finding:

You surf fine when connected wired, and then surf fine wirelessly after disconnecting your wired side, however if you reboot, and try wirelessly, you are back to super slow surfing. Is this correct?

If so, your DNS resolution may be a problem. Try this:

Connect your wired side, make sure you can surf fine, take a look at your
    /etc/resolv.conf file and note the nameserver IP.

Next, disconnect your wired, connect your wireless like you did before and surf. If you surf fine, again look at your /etc/resolv.conf file and see if the nameserver IP is the same.

If it is the same, reboot, connect wirelessly and take a look at your /etc/resolv.conf file...I bet they are different.

You can also try to ping an IP address on the internet (such as 4.2.2.2) and then ping a dns name (such as www.google.com)...if there is a substantial difference, again, DNS resolution is probably the culprit.

Also, as recommended earlier, fire up wireshark, sniff your packets and see if you can find the problem that way.

Good Luck...

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    Also let me ask you this: Are you using that shitty wireless assistant application to connect? That could very well be a problem as well. try a manual connection like this
    ifconfig ath0 up
    iwconfig ath0 essid (yours)
    dhcpcd ath0
    ping google.com
    Well, I'm not sure quite what connects, because it's automatically connected when I turn on the laptop. So, what could this be?

However, before I try more with the wireless troubleshooting, I'd like to get a better grasp on how this works period. For example, earlier, when I plugged into the wired network it worked right away.

Now, however, it won't. I managed to get it working by typing "dhclient" and then voila! it works. But why? Why do I all of a sudden have to do this, and why'd it work before just by plugging it in? I would really like to get a grasp of what I'm doing in general before I go to the next step!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast