Thread: Some questions on BT3 - Kismet

Unhappy Some questions on BT3 - Kismet

Hi! Everyone! I am a new member. I am not familiar with linux system and BT3.
    Currently , I want to configure kismet in BT3. Seem I need to install "ieee80211-1.2.18" before I go any further. I got some error about "/lib/modules/2.6.21.5/build: No such file or directory"

Does it mean that I have to install the modules first? Where can I download it and how can I install it? I am still learning the command in the linux system. So I really don't know what to type and what to do next...

Please help...

Quote Originally Posted by charlescywong View Post
    Hi! Everyone! I am a new member. I am not familiar with linux system and BT3.
    Currently , I want to configure kismet in BT3. Seem I need to install "ieee80211-1.2.18" before I go any further. I got some error about "/lib/modules/2.6.21.5/build: No such file or directory"

Does it mean that I have to install the modules first? Where can I download it and how can I install it? I am still learning the command in the linux system. So I really don't know what to type and what to do next...

Please help...
    BackTrack is a penetration testing live CD. It is for not for beginners to Linux. I would recommend that you try another Linux distro before you try to tackle BT. Many other distros support Kismet so that won't be a problem.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

You probally need the kernel Headers...

download

wget http://www.offensive-security.com/kernel.lzm

after you download run...

"lzm2dir kernel.lzm /" fyi no Quotes

Give that a shot, oh and next time it sure would be helpful for a screen shot of the problem

After I install the kernel, then, what should I do? How to make Kismet recoginse my wireless NIC?

I try "iwconfig", the system said: no wireless extensions.

What should I do?