Thread: Kismet

Default Kismet

Hi to all,

I have a laptop with Windows XP SP3 pre-installed and I am running Backtrack 3 Final under Virtual Box where I have also installed it.

Does anyone else came across with the same error when trying to use KISMET? The version of kismet I use is (2007.09.R1)!

Launching kismet_server: /usr/local/bin/kismet_server
    Suid priv-dropping disabled. This may not be secure.
    No specific sources given to be enabled, all will be enabled.
    Non-RFMon VAPs will be destroyed on multi-vap interfaces (ie, madwifi-ng)
    Enabling channel hopping.
    Enabling channel splitting.
    FATAL: Unknown capture source type 'madwifi' in source 'madwifi_ng,eth0,alexandros'
    Done.

My eth0 configuration:

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 08:00:12:45:67:89
    inet addr:192.168.0.103 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:1217 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:1164 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:1181495 (1.1 MiB) TX bytes:208729 (203.8 KiB)
    Interrupt:17 Base address:0xc020

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

I am going to guess that you have a Atheros based card as you are using madwifi_ng as your capture source. You are not going to get this card to work in a virtual environment, inside VirtualBox or VMware, with kismet as it is an internal card and not connected through USB.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by =Tron= View Post
    Be very careful out there today, we're at terror alert orange! Which means something might go down somewhere in some way at some point in time.
    lol paranoid much?

I don't think his card would show up as eth0 if it had an atheros chipset. based on this

FATAL: Unknown capture source type 'madwifi' in source 'madwifi_ng,eth0,alexandros'
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and say your card probably doesn't support monitor mode and therefore kismet will not work even if you installed BT on the hard drive. just a guess though could be wrong.

I have an Atheros based wireless PCMCIA card yes.

To be more specific I use the Ubiquiti SRC 300mW wireless card which should normally work in Backtrack 3 as it is also specified in backtrack 3 wireless HCL.

Are you 100% sure that I can't do any of the wireless hack stuff under Virtual Box.By the way I can access the Internet using Backtrack 3 through Virtual Box.It got also an ip address from my DHCP enabled wi-fi router.

The strange think is why this card it is not listed when I am trying the iwconfig command?

It only shows the card when I use ifconfig and as I said before it comes with the eth0 instead of ath0 or something similar!

Please give me any suggestions. I will appreciate your help!

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ioannou.alexandros View Post
    I have an Atheros based wireless PCMCIA card yes.

To be more specific I use the Ubiquiti SRC 300mW wireless card which should normally work in Backtrack 3 as it is also specified in backtrack 3 wireless HCL.

Are you 100% sure that I can't do any of the wireless hack stuff under Virtual Box.By the way I can access the Internet using Backtrack 3 through Virtual Box.It got also an ip address from my DHCP enabled wi-fi router.

The strange think is why this card it is not listed when I am trying the iwconfig command?

It only shows the card when I use ifconfig and as I said before it comes with the eth0 instead of ath0 or something similar!

Please give me any suggestions. I will appreciate your help!

Thanks!
    Virtual machines don't talk directly to the hardware, except for usb. Any other device will be bridged in software to show up as a regular ethernet device in the vm. Usb devices will still work correctly because you can enable them in the vm. It's the same with parallels, vmware, and whatever that hack is that windows uses.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Cheers my friends!

Any suggestions for a cheap USB wireless adpater that will work out of the box in Backtrack 3 under Virtual Box?

Thank you very very much!

Linksys WUSB54GC(No External Antenna MOD) or Linksys WUSB54G V4(External Antenna MOD)