Thread: Dual 3945 WiFi Cards, need help using them separately

Just burned his ISO

Default Dual 3945 WiFi Cards, need help using them separately

I purchased and installed two Intel 3945ABG wireless cards for Thinkpad, and have them installed (one with two antenna's, the other only with one antenna).

I want to use one for injection (yes, the 3945 supports injection with ipwraw driver), and the other one just for scanning.

When I run iwconfig or ifconfig, I see that there is: wlan0 & wlan1

airodump-ng wlan0 results in: "ioctl(SIOCSIFFLAGS) failed: no such device" despite the fact that wlan0 exists in iwconfig

airodump-ng wlan1 works fine, and outputs a list of networks.

====

What I want to do:

use wlan0 for 'airodump-ng wlan0'

use wlan1 for injection, by doing: modprobe -r iwl3945;modprobe ipwraw;aireplay-ng...
    When I do modprobe, what I do in one will affect both wlan0 and wlan1.

Is it possible to use both wireless cards independently, and to somehow have one of cards switch its driver to ipwraw, while the other stays with the default iwl3945

Quote Originally Posted by ImGeo View Post
    I purchased and installed two Intel 3945ABG wireless cards for Thinkpad, and have them installed (one with two antenna's, the other only with one antenna).
    I guess its possible but there might be a conflict with drivers.
    I want to use one for injection (yes, the 3945 supports injection with ipwraw driver), and the other one just for scanning.

When I run iwconfig or ifconfig, I see that there is: wlan0 & wlan1

airodump-ng wlan0 results in: "ioctl(SIOCSIFFLAGS) failed: no such device" despite the fact that wlan0 exists in iwconfig

airodump-ng wlan1 works fine, and outputs a list of networks.

====

What I want to do:

use wlan0 for 'airodump-ng wlan0'

use wlan1 for injection, by doing: modprobe -r iwl3945;modprobe ipwraw;aireplay-ng...
    When I do modprobe, what I do in one will affect both wlan0 and wlan1.

Is it possible to use both wireless cards independently, and to somehow have one of cards switch its driver to ipwraw, while the other stays with the default iwl3945
    If you're using ipwraw then your wifi ethernet device will be wifi0, not wlan0 or wlan1. Since you have wlan0 and wlan1 it looks like your iwl3945 driver is being used for both wifi cards. Airodump-ng will not work with the iwl3945 driver as it doesn't support injection out of the box in BT3F. I'm not sure how to go about using 2 identical cards with different drivers. You may have to set up different udev rules for each.

Just burned his ISO

With further testing, I realized it does not work:

It seems the second slot does not support intel wifi cards (which I verified), but can support atheros based cards (Thinkpad b/g wifi)

Info link:
    hxxp://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/board/message?board.id=T_Series_Thinkpads&message.id=261 30

the 3945 can inject and scan at the same time. after loading the raw drivers, you can run airodump on the wifi0 interface and inject from it (switches from wlan0 to wifi0 when you load the raw drivers)

and after patch & install last compatwireless driver you can use 3945 in managed mode in AND in monitor mode in mon0 at same time.
    yes i test my wap with spoonwap and one 3945 in both mode
    acer 5920g , 345abg , nvidia 8600m
    bt5 kde 64bit + acpi + cuda 4.0 / nvidia 270.40 / pyrit