Thread: How to install GRUB on Backtrack 3?

Default How to install GRUB on Backtrack 3?

I got Backtrack 3 running perfectly on my EEE PC thanks to the great instructions at: kin.calvin.free.fr/blog/?p=16 (can't post full links but you can see it there).

While BT3 is working and booting just fine, I can't get back into my Windows partition. I added the following to lilo.conf like the instructions said:

Code:
    #Windows Boot possibility :
    other = /dev/sda1
    label = Windows
    table = /dev/sda
    (Only difference: made it sda1 instead of hda1 because that's what it's called.

This doesn't work. No option to boot XP.

I figure that instead of messing around with Lilo to make it work, I'd much rather install GRUB. I'm more familiar with it and it's much prettier :P

So, how can I install GRUB? I tried following the instructions here: forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=14806

My wifi isn't working because it was disabled, and I can only re-enable it through XP (FN+wireless doesn't work), so I simply downloaded grub to my thumb drive and followed these instructions:
    Code:
    cd /mnt/sda7
    wget ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware-current/extra/grub/grub-0.97-i486-6.tgz 
    installpkg grub-0.97-i486-6.tgz
    grub-install --root-directory=/mnt/backtrack/root/ /dev/sda2

vi /mnt/backtrack/boot/grub/menu.lst
    (Only difference: /dev/sda2 instead of /dev/sda5
    However, I only got as far as the "grub-install" step, because when I entered it, I got the error:

Code:
    mkdir: cannot create directory '/mnt/backtrack/root//boot': No such file or directory
    This is where I'm stuck. Please help

P.S. There is a system:/media/backtrack partition, but when I try to do anything to it I get a popup saying: "A secutiy policy in place prevents this sender from sending this message to this recipient *blah blah blah*" Could this be part of the problem?

Default hay

i recently installed bt3 on my laptop HD using lilo (lilo is great )

it could be you have messed up your MBR for xp ...

fix the MBR and install again lilo works great on xp and my vista also has dual boot with lilo no reason it wont boot ...(

here is a great tut on a shell install if you follow it corectly it will work
    http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=14751

http://www.offensive-security.com/mo.../dualboot.html

make note at the LILO config at the end ... ejust it to your specs
    All fixed set patterns are incapable of adaptability or pliability. The truth is outside of all fixed patterns.

Bruce Lee

AH! How stupid of me! I didn't type:
    Code:
    lilo -v
    Thanks

I'm happy to be running, but I still think Lilo is fugly. Would anyone be willing to help me get GRUB working?

Thanks!
    Max

Also, how can I make Windows XP the first boot?

Quote Originally Posted by MaxRabbit View Post
    Also, how can I make Windows XP the first boot?
    By installing XP first.

...looks like you have to do it alllll overrr again

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-NewWorldOrder View Post
    By installing XP first.

...looks like you have to do it alllll overrr again
    You're joking, right

All fixed set patterns are incapable of adaptability or pliability. The truth is outside of all fixed patterns.

Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by MaxRabbit View Post
    I'm happy to be running, but I still think Lilo is fugly. Would anyone be willing to help me get GRUB working?
    I'm also not a fan of lilo. Post your entire /etc/fstab along with the file system on them and then a likely grub "menu.lst" can be given.
    Code:
    # cat /etc/fstab

Quote Originally Posted by larryhaja View Post
    I'm also not a fan of lilo. Post your entire /etc/fstab along with the file system on them and then a likely grub "menu.lst" can be given.
    Code:
    # cat /etc/fstab
    Okay, but I can't actually edit the menu.lst until grub is installed! Will that command help you to understand why grub won't even install for me?

/etc/fstab contains all of your partitions and how they are mounted, including the filesystem. I only ask this because it gives me and anybody else a better idea of what is installed and where it is mounted.

I reread your initial post and it looks like you were trying to install GRUB during the initial install or during a LiveCD session. The link you referred to in your OP had that OP state he installed GRUB to the boot partition instead of the MBR. I'm not familiar with that route and so I may not be able to help you. But it looks like you've installed Lilo instead to the MBR in order to boot into backtrack. If I'm wrong then please let me know.

If you can boot into BT then run this command.
    Code:
    # grubconfig
    This command will guide you through installing a vanilla grub to your /boot directory. Then from there you can edit the menu.lst file with the information from the output of fstab. At this point Grub still isn't installed to the MBR so you can't use it to boot into an OS just yet. I can't really give you anymore specific information to your boot options unless I know how you partitioned your hard drive. So, please, post your /etc/fstab output for further help.