Thread: Bt2+bcm4311=pwr-1?

Just burned his ISO

Default Bt2+bcm4311=pwr-1?

Hey, im fairly new to Linux (also fairly interested) im having a problem, i've searched all over and havent really found an answer.

i'm using a dell inspiron 1521 with a built in BCM4311 and im using Backtrack2 because i had too much trouble getting bt3 to work. (i know about the bcm43xx issues)

heres the symptom:
    the card seems to be compatible, i can put it into monitor mode and all, but when i airodump-ng all of the networks that show up are -1 pwr, including my own. it dosent matter how far or close i am to the router it stays at -1 for all networks. what does this mean and how can i fix it?

Edit:
    i got bt3 working just fine from usb drive (it wouldnt work from cd) but the problem persists only now instead of -1's the pwr level on all the networks is 0

Just burned his ISO

hmm, I assume it is, as you said, bcm43xx issue, I also have one of those in my laptop, and I couldn't get it work correctly also, so I bought Edimax EW 7318 and it works quite well, and it's not expensive at all..
    So my suggestion to you is, buy some "linux friendly" card
    Other than that I can't help you out, maybe someone will..

Just burned his ISO

Thanks, yes I may end up trying a different card but I would like to just use the built in if at all possible.maybe someone else has the solution?

Quote Originally Posted by NFrank89 View Post
    heres the symptom:
    the card seems to be compatible, i can put it into monitor mode and all, but when i airodump-ng all of the networks that show up are -1 pwr, including my own. it dosent matter how far or close i am to the router it stays at -1 for all networks. what does this mean and how can i fix it?
    This is nothing to be alarmed about, it is simply because the bcm43xx driver does not support signal strength readings from your card.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Just burned his ISO

do you know about how long it should usually take to crack a wep? im trying to crack my own and i t looked like it was going to take 2+ hrs. i was using spoon wep. is the slowness common woth the bcm4311 or is this the symptom of another issue?

do you know about how long it should usually take to crack a wep?
    It will depend entirely on the situation. Among other things the length of the key used, how near the AP you are, how fast your card is able to inject and how well the AP is able to respond to these packets.
    im trying to crack my own and i t looked like it was going to take 2+ hrs. i was using spoon wep. is the slowness common woth the bcm4311 or is this the symptom of another issue?
    As far as I remember the BCM4311 will not be able to inject as rapidly as many other more high end chipsets. However, 2+ hours sounds a little uncommon. Are you certain that you are properly fake authenticating and that the AP is responding to your injected packets?
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.