Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick question: Associate to AP in monitor mode

Default Quick question: Associate to AP in monitor mode

Is there a tool in BT3 that can make a wireless card associate to an AP (possibly encrypted) while still allowing packet injection via the wireless card? I mean sort of like the opposite of what airbase-ng does e.g. create a virtual interface and allow the system to route traffic through it as if it was a normal interface.

I think some drivers allow injection in managed mode, but can it be done via monitor mode?
    I have the card in me head, but you have the memory problems?

depends on the driver/card you're using, with my 3945 card and the compat wireless drivers, i can inject/monitor with the new device it creates (mon0) while still connected to an AP with the wlan0 interface (which stays in monitor mode).

I'm not certain, but i think its the same thing with atheros cards, it creates a new interface (ath0) which can be used for injection/monitoring while the original interface stays in managed mode.

Aye, this is true for my atheros 5007/5006EX. It spawns virtual interfaces ath0-ect from the OG wifi0.

How would one achieve this on a non-atheros wireless card, suppose the Alfa AWUS036H?

There are certain limitation those all who are using same card for monitor & managed mode and that is the card can ONLY scan the same channel on which its connected with AP in managed mode.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by thunderwing View Post
    depends on the driver/card you're using, with my 3945 card and the compat wireless drivers, i can inject/monitor with the new device it creates (mon0) while still connected to an AP with the wlan0 interface (which stays in monitor mode).

I'm not certain, but i think its the same thing with atheros cards, it creates a new interface (ath0) which can be used for injection/monitoring while the original interface stays in managed mode.
    I have the 3945 as well but have been using the ipwraw drivers built into BT3 and don't have the ability to both manage and monitor at the same time (AFAIK).

Would you please tell me where I can get this compat wireless driver you mention and if it's built into BT3 exactly how to I load it?

I use the modprobe command to load the ipwraw drivers.

Just burned his ISO

Thanks...

I'll see if I can get this going with latest bt 3 for usb.

EDIT:
    Seems like these drivers need a kernel of 2.6.25 or higher. I wonder if BT4 will support these?

Is there some other way I can use these with BT3?

As much as I would like to listen to this conversation going up and down about various drivers, none of these posts actually answer my question. Is there a generic (i.e. driver independent) way to simulate a managed-mode client by using an interface in monitor mode, provided that the driver and the wireless card support monitor mode an injection (like the airbase-ng that simulates a soft AP by using an interface in monitor mode, but simulate a "soft client" instead, possibly with encryption support)?

Quote Originally Posted by secure_it View Post
    There are certain limitation those all who are using same card for monitor & managed mode and that is the card can ONLY scan the same channel on which its connected with AP in managed mode.
    Hmm, that actually didn't occur to me prior your post, tho thanks for bringing it up. It should be obvious that the card can only use the channel that the managed mode uses, but that shouldn't really have an impact on the project I working on.

~xCPPx

This is why quite a few of us have multiple wifi cards on one machine.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast