Thread: macchanger

Default macchanger

macchanger works some-what. When I try and use the -m command it won't change the mac to what I have specified. I says "The Device is busy...". When I try to stop it with airmon it deletes the ath0 completly. Everyway I tried has it saying the device is busy. Any other thoughts? I want to change it permanetly not just temporary. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chief30 View Post
    macchanger works some-what. When I try and use the -m command it won't change the mac to what I have specified. I says "The Device is busy...". When I try to stop it with airmon it deletes the ath0 completly. Everyway I tried has it saying the device is busy. Any other thoughts? I want to change it permanetly not just temporary. Thanks
    You are a bit sparse in your explanation of the problem. Exact commands and error responses are always preferred. But since you mention ath0, I will make the assumption that you are using madwifi-ng drivers.

If this is the case: You need to remove any VAP's (athX) and change the MAC of wifi0, then create a new VAP using wlanconfig, adding the -uniquebssid option at the end. (you can search the forums here for a more detailed explanation).

To make this permanent, put the commands into the rc.local file or something similar. If you don't know what rc.local does, google that as well.

Now, with this new found info, google away and have a great time learning more about linux.

thank you- i'll try my best!

searching out and finding the right info is part of the fun of learning. Hopefully all you needed were a few key words to put you on the right path!

Good Luck...