Thread: how do you install XP on eeepc?

Default how do you install XP on eeepc?

hi,

I am currently running BT3 on my EEEPC. I would like to have a dual-boot with XP but I was told on this forum that you need to install XP first and then BT3.

I am not a expert on linux, so there may be things that I may be overlooking. Plus, I don't have an external dvd/cd rom. So I tried copying the XP SP3 installation cd to a memory stick, then I tried rebooting from it. However, it gives me something like installion tables not found.

I also tried to access the setup.exe from backtrack but it just hangs on the first bullet when trying to get system requirements. At this point, I am considering to go and purchase an external DVD rom so I can run the windows disk and see if that would work.

I also tried the instructions from http://archive.atomicmpc.com.au/foru...=2&c=21&t=1979 "Here's my guide to installing windows XP on your EEEPC". On it, Lambo goes about creating a windows bootable memory stick and a windows memory stick containing only i386 folder. I created both following his instruction but when I tried to boot from the bootable memory stick, it just hangs and after a hour of waiting the prompt hasn't come back yet.

So my question is, Do I miss something? Is there any other way about doing this?.

Just burned his ISO

I have a 1000h and tried to install from a memory stick and a few other means but with random results and no real answer. In the end i used a USB to IDE converter and connected it to an internal CD player i had hanging around. I then installed BT from USB using the " How to install backtrack 3 final from the shell" tutorial.

J

I have been tackling this today as we are ordering 66 for work, so we used mine to try and get ahead as we dont have a usb DVD,

First of all I created a trimed XP ISO as my 901 has a 4GB hdd and after a default install i only had 1.5GB free after drivers were applied

wiki.eeeuser.com/howto:nlitexp#dokuwiki__top
    (Don't Disable Multi Processor Support when you do this as you'll be there all day)

Then i created a Bootable USB Install
    eeeguides.com/2007/11/installing-windows-xp-from-usb-thumb.html

I then use the 7GB hdd for my XP Tools & BT Share, For BT3 I use a 16GB SDHC card

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by BlkUK View Post
    I have been tackling this today as we are ordering 66 for work, so we used mine to try and get ahead as we dont have a usb DVD,

First of all I created a trimed XP ISO as my 901 has a 4GB hdd and after a default install i only had 1.5GB free after drivers were applied

wiki.eeeuser.com/howto:nlitexp#dokuwiki__top
    (Don't Disable Multi Processor Support when you do this as you'll be there all day)

Then i created a Bootable USB Install
    eeeguides.com/2007/11/installing-windows-xp-from-usb-thumb.html

I then use the 7GB hdd for my XP Tools & BT Share, For BT3 I use a 16GB SDHC card

Hope this helps
    Thanks that sounds more like I am looking for. I'll read the information on the sites and give it a tried hopefully today or tomorrow.

Sure let us know how u get on