Thread: cowpatty & hash error, "Invalid Word Length: -33"

Just burned his ISO

Default cowpatty & hash error, "Invalid Word Length: -33"

So far, I've conquered WEP, and started to move to WPA-PSK (TKIP)

After getting my PCAP and verifying it has a 4 way handshake (Wireshark, filter EAPOL), I ran the following:

cowpatty -s 2WIRE529 -d /mnt/sda2/patty/c* -r 529
    note that the hashes are named c1, c2, etc and are in the above specified location (a windows HDD)

cowpatty 3.0 - WPA-PSK...
    Collected all necessary data...
    Starting dictionary attack...
    Invalid word length: -33
    Found a record that was too short, this shouldn't happen in practice!
    Unable to identify the PSK from the dictionary file. Try expanding your passphrase list, and double-check the SSID. Sorry it didn't work out.

335676973 passphrases tested in 0.00 seconds: 100672123545123.44 passprhrases/second

-----------
    Note: I am suspecting that the hash I got from shmoo is not the right one... and maybe I should get the one from renderlab (which I'm downloading right now). let me know if that's where I went wrong.

When I ran the above code, I sometimes got an invalid word length on lines 160, 85, etc (when I specified the exact file, such as -r c2)

I downloaded the 1.2 gb hash file/torrent from Shmoo (hxxp://rainbowtables.shmoo.com/), named alpha_num, and then unzipped it with 7 zip (in windows).

And yes, the SSID (2WIRE529) is one of the top 1000 commonly used ESSID.

There are .md5 for every file (5 separate ~200mb files) I did not run a md5 hash on the files (which were compresssed as .lzma, and decompressed to .rt, but renamed to be just c1, c2, etc) [I'm suggesting that they may have been corrupted] Example:
    alpha_num1.rt.lzma
    alpha_num1.rt.lzma.md5
    alpha_num2.rt.lzma
    alpha_num2.rt.lzma.md5

Any suggestion, or clue about the Invalid word length: -33 ?
    Or workarounds? Or should I try and uncompress it again?

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ImGeo View Post
    cowpatty 3.0 - WPA-PSK...
    Collected all necessary data...
    Starting dictionary attack...
    Invalid word length: -33
    Found a record that was too short, this shouldn't happen in practice!
    There's a bug in the program you're using. Either that, or the laws of physics have changed so that you can have a word of negative length. My guess is that they're using a signed integer variable somewhere in the program and it gets overflowed so that a large positive number becomes a small negative number. I'm sure the developer(s) of the application would like to know about it.
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

use airolib-ng instead