Thread: Security Courses - Course Providers

Just burned his ISO

Default Security Courses - Course Providers

I've got another 6 months of being a bum until I start college in September, I can either get a job or find a short-ish course to go on until then, Ive always thought about a career In IT, I have an excellent background of experience with PC's from general construction to networking and modding so I'm confident that I'll be able to handle a course even if it is at a professional level.

Ive been looking over courses but most are provided by private companies that do not provide free training for young adults. Does anyone know of somewhere in London that does a comprehensive range of courses associated with linux/networking/pentesting. Ive been messing about with cracking my own WPA network and I enjoy using Linux , I would like to take this further and get myself some kind of certification, even if it doesn't lead to a career in IT I think its time I got myself some kind of acknowledgment for my years and years of gathering IT knowledge

I read about a course named "Security+" in another thread, if someone could maybe give me information on other common entry level courses associated with Linux network/security that would be great

thanks in advance and I'm really not sure how many UK members there are in this community but any advice international or not is welcome

Modgod

Quote Originally Posted by modgod View Post
    I've got another 6 months of being a bum until I start college in September, I can either get a job or find a short-ish course to go on until then, Ive always thought about a career In IT, I have an excellent background of experience with PC's from general construction to networking and modding so I'm confident that I'll be able to handle a course even if it is at a professional level.

Ive been looking over courses but most are provided by private companies that do not provide free training for young adults. Does anyone know of somewhere in London that does a comprehensive range of courses associated with linux/networking/pentesting. Ive been messing about with cracking my own WPA network and I enjoy using Linux , I would like to take this further and get myself some kind of certification, even if it doesn't lead to a career in IT I think its time I got myself some kind of acknowledgment for my years and years of gathering IT knowledge

I read about a course named "Security+" in another thread, if someone could maybe give me information on other common entry level courses associated with Linux network/security that would be great

thanks in advance and I'm really not sure how many UK members there are in this community but any advice international or not is welcome

Modgod
    I share the same intrest as yourself,but alot of the penetration testing courses etc are highly over priced and unjustified.

have you not thought about hxxp://offensive-security.com/training.php
    Worth a look to see if its what your after,the pricing is also very good.
    And no better people to learn from

Just burned his ISO

I was thinking of courses based in the UK seeing as thats where I live, Im still under 18 so I get free education till I'm 19 hence why I'm looking for course providers that aren't private businesses looking to rip as much cash as possible from you before sending you on your way with a shiny certificate . But thanks for the info anyway

anyone know names of reputable courses in the UK to do with network/security?

thanks

MODGOD

You might wanna check out OPST and OPSA certifications through ISECOM or one of their training partners.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Quote Originally Posted by modgod View Post
    I'm looking for course providers that aren't private businesses looking to rip as much cash as possible from you before sending you on your way with a shiny certificate . But thanks for the info anyway
    MODGOD
    Not sure what you mean there, my friend!?

The Offensive-Security courses are designed and run by Muts (and off-sec team) He is one of the principal developers of BackTrack.

I think anyone would be hard pushed to say that the courses don't represent good value for money, in comparison with the rest of the industry's offerings.
    They have certainly been received very positively within the industry, imho.

Location isn't an issue for most, as they are based online.

The Security+ (as with all of the "+" courses, i.e. A+, Network+, etc) are run by CompTIA and they have training and examination centres all over the place.
    They are quite expensive, as are all offerings in this area.
    Ask at your local employment centre or business enterprise agency for any available free placement offerings.

Other than that, I expect you'll be restricted to offerings from local colleges, which I don't expect would be offering specific industry recognised courses, such as the ones you've been looking at.

Anyway, good luck with your search for "free" courses

Quote Originally Posted by pieface View Post
    I share the same intrest as yourself,but alot of the penetration testing courses etc are highly over priced and unjustified.

Over priced? Usually. But unjustified? What do you mean by this?
    "You're only smoke and mirrors..."

Just burned his ISO

Well I've been searching colleges in London and I'm quite suprised to find a lot of them offering CompTIA Courses, I've enquired about a few of them and they seem promising.

I'm looking for course providers that aren't private businesses looking to rip as much cash as possible from you before sending you on your way with a shiny certificate . But thanks for the info anyway
    MODGOD
    I Just meant I was looking for a completley free course, which is exactly what many of the colleges offering the CompTIA certificate have.
    Concessionary course fees for those still eligible for free education (under 19) or those in receipt of state benefits. I was told I may need to take a lower level course before being allowed on to the Security+ course, which if I remember correctly is Level 3 Course.

Im trying to decide between A+/Network+/Security+ Im sure they differ greatly in exactly what you learn but im not to concerned as long as I'm sitting at a pc .

thanks and I'll keep you posted

I am currently completing the Offsec 101 course. Hands down it is the best security training I have recieved so far. Save your pennies, its worth it
    I feel sorry for them - those who take authority as the truth and not truth as the authority -- Zeitgeist

OP, I'm located in Ireland and planning on doing the the following training if I can get the time off work.

Black Hat Europe 2009 Briefings and Training
    April 14-17
    Pentesting with BackTrack4
    Offensive Security

Overview

This is an intensive, hardcore, hands on Security class by the creators of Backtrack, especially designed for delivery in BlackHat Trainings. The course is an interesting amalgamation of our entry level course ("Offensive Security 101") with several updated modules.
    http://www.blackhat.com/html/bh-euro...09-bt4-os.html

Edit:

Can anybody from the BT team or Offensive Security comment on if doing this course or your online course is a better option?