Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best phone to run security tools on?

Quote Originally Posted by hatake_kakashi View Post
    iPhone linux at the time of writing is still very much alpha/beta stage, its primitive, limited and lacks lots of features.. you may have to wait awhile and thus you will need to source the first gen iphones for it to work with linux, good luck with that.
    Uhh, it's already running bsd. What would be gained by getting linux on it?
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Because then all linux software would be able to be install on it

Quote Originally Posted by Panarchy View Post
    Because then all linux software would be able to be install on it
    That same software will work in bsd.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    That same software will work in bsd.
    Hahahaha, well, when you put it like that!

But with iPhone Linux, you'd be able to build a security distribution (such as my one or BackTrack) and use that, plus some music software and phone software as a complete replacement for the iPhone OS (apple).

Yeah, what'd you think about iPhone Linux now

Panarchy

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Uhh, it's already running bsd. What would be gained by getting linux on it?
    You meant a hacked freebsd core Well I dunno really, linux kernel is completely different to bsd's kernel and people on this board would probably find themselves more at home with linux (if ever after they jumped across from windows) than to bsd.

Quote Originally Posted by hatake_kakashi View Post
    You meant a hacked freebsd core Well I dunno really, linux kernel is completely different to bsd's kernel and people on this board would probably find themselves more at home with linux (if ever after they jumped across from windows) than to bsd.
    I guess I bounce between the two too much.

I think the best option if you want something small but still powerful is to go with an EEE PC. Ok you can't use it as a phone, but it has a keyboard, a wireless adapter capabale of injection and so on.

Phones are nice toys but as said before, the onscreen keyboard isn't really what you are looking for if you want to seriously use security tools. And if you get an external keyboard it isn't much smaller than an EEE PC anymore.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by KMDave View Post
    I think the best option if you want something small but still powerful is to go with an EEE PC. Ok you can't use it as a phone, but it has a keyboard, a wireless adapter capabale of injection and so on.

Phones are nice toys but as said before, the onscreen keyboard isn't really what you are looking for if you want to seriously use security tools. And if you get an external keyboard it isn't much smaller than an EEE PC anymore.
    I have an EEE PC, and you can simply use Skype on it over Wifi if you absolutely need to make VoIP calls, but it costs a small amount of money to call non toll-free numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by KMDave View Post

Yeah, sure the eeePC is a good idea... although, I don't really want to carry around a laptop with me where-ever I go. For the advantage of having a phone with hacking tools is exactly that, it's a phone. You don't need to carry a backpack/suitcase with you where-ever you go.

Besides, I have an old Dell Inspiron 700m whose inbuilt wireless card has monitor mode support. So I have no need (of yet) to get an eeePC.

The only need I have is to get a phone that has hacking tools on it.

Would there be an addon to the iPhone/iPod Touch that would allow you to inject/monitor a wireless network (like an external wireless card that can be attached to the iPhone/iPod Touch)?

Because if there was, then I'd get an iPod Touch 'right off the boat'.

Well please tell me if it's possible, or if you'd recommend another phone.

Thanks in advance,

Panarchy

Did you see how "big" an EEE PC is? You won't need a backpack or suitcase for it as it is just 7-9" wide.

If you are going to carry an external antenna and/or keyboard with you for a phone, it will be around the same as carrying an EEE PC around.

That was my point. I understand that you were asking for a phone. Well it is depending on what you want to do exactly with it. Just discover wireless lan or also be able to run scripts?
    Maybe some more information would help
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast