Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can't connect to WLAN

Very good friend of the forum killadaninja's Avatar

Sometimes I try to fit a 16-character string into an 8–byte space, on purpose.

Manually configuring it worked, thanks

EDIT:

Nvm, it's not working.I can connect to my network, but I don't have internet access

I'm having the same issues with dhclient. I can inject fine, and I KNOW the router is running dhcp... but whenever I run dhcpcd wlan1 it takes about 30 seconds then completes and wlan1 goes down in ifconfig and I'm not connected. When I do dhclient wlan1 I get NO DHCPOFFERS received. connecting manually doesn't work either.

Quote Originally Posted by aspekt9 View Post
    I'm having the same issues with dhclient. I can inject fine, and I KNOW the router is running dhcp... but whenever I run dhcpcd wlan1 it takes about 30 seconds then completes and wlan1 goes down in ifconfig and I'm not connected. When I do dhclient wlan1 I get NO DHCPOFFERS received. connecting manually doesn't work either.
    This is exactly what was wrong with my Edimax, I came to the conclusion that my card is some how broken as my Alfa500mW connects perfectly to my gateway/router.

Try this one, if you have Windows XP load it up and once you are on your Desktop; load in your Wifi card. If you get the speech bubble saying unrecognized USB then its broken. The sound that XP plays when a Plug 'n' Play device is found may not be the usual "2 beat sound", it will more than likely (in some cases) give a repeated loop of the first sequence of the sound; sounding like a "3 beat sound" rather than a "2 beat sound"..as if the sound is stuck in a loop (the P'n'P sound effect).

Do yourself a favour and get an Alfa500mW. I think I seen an Alfa on the market that you can connect 3 antennas to (x3 sma connections). Then buy 3 Yagi directional antennas and tape them up as one

Well my WiFi Adapter is built-in (using my EEE PC), and I don't think it's broken because it works fine on XP Home.

Quote Originally Posted by oib111 View Post
    Well my WiFi Adapter is built-in (using my EEE PC), and I don't think it's broken because it works fine on XP Home.
    Ahh, ok my bad. I did not read your first post correctly. If you can connect to your gateway, yet you have no internet connection. Are you sure your actually connected? Have you tried to ping the gateway? Your NIC may have just assigned itself an IP to shut itself up. (172.*.*.*??).

And for the record when you say it works fine on XP, you mean that you can surf the internet on XP? So its not the case of "you haven't paid your internet bill" then?

Progress! I successfully connected, but then about 5 seconds later it said "Connection to Lrei has been lost. Would you like to reconnect?" I clicked Yes and then Wireless Assistant crashed....

Progress! I successfully connected, but then about 5 seconds later it said "Connection to Lrei has been lost. Would you like to reconnect?" I clicked Yes and then Wireless Assistant crashed....
    Don't use Wireless Assistant, it's more than broken. I seem to be the exception, but for everyone else I've heard from WA breaks every time. Connect via terminal and you shouldn't have any issues.

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

When I try connecting via terminal it never gets DHCP, but I'll try (I'll also try manually configuration). But how do I manually configure my settings?

When I try connecting via terminal it never gets DHCP, but I'll try (I'll also try manually configuration). But how do I manually configure my settings?
    AFTER you have successfully associated to the Access Point, if you want to manually assign your networking information:

(for the example, my IP will be 192.168.0.100, my Interface will be ath0, my
    router/gateway will be 192.168.0.1, my subnet is class C (255.255.255.0) and my DNS server is 4.2.2.2 change these settings to meet your specific networking requirements)

Code:
    ifconfig ath0 192.168.0.100
    ifconfig ath0 up
    route add default gw 192.168.0.1 ath0
    echo 'nameserver 4.2.2.2' > /etc/resolv.conf

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12