Thread: my router is putting out 43 dbm, is it bad for my health?

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default my router is putting out 43 dbm, is it bad for my health?

after i add in the power of the router plus the antenna i attached, it comes out to 43 dbm. i now get great coverage all the way across the house and in the backyard, but is it enough to affect anything healthwise when im close to it?

Quote Originally Posted by erikcam View Post
    after i add in the power of the router plus the antenna i attached, it comes out to 43 dbm. i now get great coverage all the way across the house and in the backyard, but is it enough to affect anything healthwise when im close to it?
    As long as you don't strap the router to your crotch, I think you're probably ok.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

What you would be worried about are Watts. I don't think you're pushing the same wattage as a radar range. If so, then you're slowly cooking from the inside out. Eat lot's of rice and spice.
    <EeePc 1000HA BT4/W7 USB boot Alfa500 GPS BlueTooth>

Quote Originally Posted by PeppersGhost View Post
    What you would be worried about are Watts. I don't think you're pushing the same wattage as a radar range. If so, then you're slowly cooking from the inside out. Eat lot's of rice and spice.
    The amount of DBM's is relative to the amount of Watts
    http://www.moonblinkwifi.com/dbm_to_watt_conversion.cfm

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Citruspers View Post
    The amount of DBM's is relative to the amount of Watts
    I've never liked the dBm unit of measurement. A lot of people seem to be confused by the whole "decibels" thing, so I'll give a quick explanation:

If you take the following English sentences:
    I have 10 dogs
    I have 100 dogs
    I have 1000 dogs
    I have 10000 dogs

You can replace them with:
    I have 1 bel dogs
    I have 2 bel dogs
    I have 3 bel dogs
    I have 4 bel dogs

So if you have X amount of bels, then that's 10 to the power of X.

People weren't happy with the "bel" though, they thought it was too big, so the next thing they did was divide a bel into 10 pieces, giving the decibel (deci being Latin for 10 as far as I know). So those sentences become:

I have 10 decibel dogs
    I have 20 decibel dogs
    I have 30 decibel dogs
    I have 40 decibel dogs

The Standard International Unit of Power is the "watt", which is equal to "joules per second". A "milliwatt" is one thousandth of a watt.

It would have been simple enough if they decided to convert watts to decibels, giving:

10 W = 10 dB
    100 W = 20 dB
    1000 W = 30 dB

however, again they decided a watt was too big, so instead of converting watts to decibels, they converted milliwatts to dBm's. As follows:

100 mW = 20 dBm

And just to explain logs very quickly: If 10 to the power of 3 is 1000, then log10 of 1000 is 3. The equations are as follows:

mW =10 to the power of (dBm/10)
    dBm = log10 (mW)*10

A very important thing to note about bels is that when you say "I got an extra 2 decibels when I used the new antenna", it's not addition you do but rather multiplication. This is different from the normal units were used to. For instance if you said you got an extra 5 mW, then all you have to do is add 5 mW onto the original figure. However if you say you added 5 decibels, then you've to do some multiplication. Also note how you can't just multiply both sides by the same number:

100 mW = 20 dBm

Now let's multiply both sides by two:

200 mW = 40 dBm (This is NOT correct)

Decibel measurements are useful when dealing with ridiculously big numbers. For instance, instead of saying:

I got a gain of 1000000000000000000000000

I can say:

I got a gain of 240 decibels
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

Quote Originally Posted by Virchanza View Post
    I've never liked the dBm unit of measurement. A lot of people seem to be confused by the whole "decibels" thing, so I'll give a quick explanation:

If you take the following English sentences:
    I have 10 dogs
    I have 100 dogs
    I have 1000 dogs
    I have 10000 dogs

You can replace them with:
    I have 1 bel dogs
    I have 2 bel dogs
    I have 3 bel dogs
    I have 4 bel dogs

Please turn in your geek card....

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PeppersGhost View Post
    Reminds me of a story a lecturer told me in college. He knew a guy that was working on some big huge radar equipment. After working on an electricity pile-on one day, he fell ill a day or two later, and died within a week. The post-mortem showed his organs had been "cooked".
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".