Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New chip claims multi-gigabit transfers over 60GHz RF

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowKill View Post
    Yes, going paperless. You are right about the risks of relying on technology but from the .mil perspective personnel costs of 150 -vs- 10 (airmen) outweighs the cost of a new battery every now and then.
    Yea, the battery costs more.... I loved looking up at the poverty line. No one in the military should qualify for food stamps.

Speaking of a paperless office. The home office just acquired a new gadget. We have a paper folder now. It's actually kinda neat. We've set it up to z fold 8.5X11 paper for folding W2's, and billing notices.

http://qik.com/video/895035
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Yea, the battery costs more.... I loved looking up at the poverty line. No one in the military should qualify for food stamps.

Speaking of a paperless office. The home office just acquired a new gadget. We have a paper folder now. It's actually kinda neat. We've set it up to z fold 8.5X11 paper for folding W2's, and billing notices.

http://qik.com/video/895035
    Fun wasn't it?! I loved that the national average was 20+k and I only made 18K. On the flip side i suppose going to war for my country was an added benefit and should be worth more than my paycheck

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Does it do origami as well?
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Quote Originally Posted by =Tron= View Post
    Does it do origami as well?
    If it grabs one side slightly faster than the other, yea, it makes a god awful mess out of a W2.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Good friend of the forums

A $50 chip isn't cheap, it's hugely expensive. Most mass produced chips are well in the $1-$2 range. It's a hell of a lot cheaper to put a $0.10
    A gps chip is $15 mass produced, but simple fm radio chip 2-3mm size around $1.50.
    Minus about $5 if you order in the 1000s.

I see it as not so much what can be done now with the chip, but what new tecnology will be made becuase of it. Wireless cameras have hadly any resoultion, but with this chip the transfer won't be the bottle neck.
    Controlling 1000s of machines that get controlled throught one machine. Equiment and robots won't need to process infomation making thing small for serach and resucre robots etc.

Just some rambles

Quote Originally Posted by compaq View Post
    A gps chip is $15 mass produced, but simple fm radio chip 2-3mm size around $1.50.
    Minus about $5 if you order in the 1000s.

I see it as not so much what can be done now with the chip, but what new tecnology will be made becuase of it. Wireless cameras have hadly any resoultion, but with this chip the transfer won't be the bottle neck.
    Controlling 1000s of machines that get controlled throught one machine. Equiment and robots won't need to process infomation making thing small for serach and resucre robots etc.

Just some rambles
    I might agree, but the problem is that the extremely low distance the chips are capable of transmitting makes it impractical for a lot of those types of applications. Even increasing the RF power of the chips will not substantially increase range. The physics of RF prevent this from happening.

The distance and the bandwidth are functions of the frequency. The rule is: the higher the frequency, the higher the bandwidth, but the lower the distance the information will be transmitted. The inverse is also true.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Good friend of the forums

Thorn if you had a 10kw signal at 60ghz, would that affect other signals from 5ghz down if they were in range?

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Thorn if you had a 10kw signal at 60ghz, would that affect other signals from 5ghz down if they were in range?
    I believe it would depend upon the harmonics of the 60Ghz signal.

I can say that I wouldn't want to be anywhere near anything that's outputting 10kw in any frequency range.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Probably, although it depends on what you mean by "range", but because that's such a huge amount of power, and the range of those devices is relatively short.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    I can say that I wouldn't want to be anywhere near anything that's outputting 10kw in any frequency range.
    ^^^^
    What he said!
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Very good friend of the forum killadaninja's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    What he said!
    I am also following Streaker and Thorn out of the vicinity
    Sometimes I try to fit a 16-character string into an 8–byte space, on purpose.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast