Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New chip claims multi-gigabit transfers over 60GHz RF

Default New chip claims multi-gigabit transfers over 60GHz RF

I thought some find this interesting.

http://www.electronista.com/articles...rf.technology/

New chip claims multi-gigabit transfers over 60GHz RF
    The Georgia Electronic Design Center (GEDC) at the Georgia Institute of Technology has announced a CMOS chip that is capable of transmitting 60GHz RF signals. The technology is claimed to be capable of wireless data-transfer speeds in the multi-gigabit range. Potential applications include high-speed short-range communication between desktop computers, data centers, wireless home audio or video systems, or moving gigabytes of photos and video to and from mobile devices.
    The single-chip component integrates a low-power radio with an embedded antenna, while drawing only 100 milliwatts of power. GEDC researchers have experimented with a variety of configurations, reaching speeds up to 15 Gbps at one meter, 10 Gbps at two meters, and 5 Gbps at five meters. Tests also successfully streamed uncompressed 720p or 1080i video.

Ecma International recently announced a global standard for the 60 GHz RF technology, with the full specifications expected to be published as an ISO standard sometime this year.

Good friend of the forums

New chip claims multi-gigabit transfers over 60GHz RF
    The Georgia Electronic Design Center (GEDC) at the Georgia Institute of Technology has announced a CMOS chip that is capable of transmitting 60GHz RF signals. The technology is claimed to be capable of wireless data-transfer speeds in the multi-gigabit range. Potential applications include high-speed short-range communication between desktop computers, data centers, wireless home audio or video systems, or moving gigabytes of photos and video to and from mobile devices.
    The single-chip component integrates a low-power radio with an embedded antenna, while drawing only 100 milliwatts of power. GEDC researchers have experimented with a variety of configurations, reaching speeds up to 15 Gbps at one meter, 10 Gbps at two meters, and 5 Gbps at five meters. Tests also successfully streamed uncompressed 720p or 1080i video.

Ecma International recently announced a global standard for the 60 GHz RF technology, with the full specifications expected to be published as an ISO standard sometime this year.
    And they are only $50 US to buy them. Can't wait for that to hit the market.

Quote Originally Posted by Back|Track_user View Post
    The single-chip component integrates a low-power radio with an embedded antenna, while drawing only 100 milliwatts of power. GEDC researchers have experimented with a variety of configurations, reaching speeds up to 15 Gbps at one meter, 10 Gbps at two meters, and 5 Gbps at five meters.
    I am so underwhelmed.

We've had Bluetooth for TANs (Tiny Area Networks) for years, and no one uses it for much besides headsets. Why would the use this?
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    I am so underwhelmed.

We've had Bluetooth for TANs (Tiny Area Networks) for years, and no one uses it for much besides headsets. Why would the use this?
    So you can transfer MP3's encoded at 4096Bits to your BT type headset from your smartphone.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

reaching speeds up to 15 Gbps at one meter
    Now all we need is RAM, CPU's and hard disks that can keep up with that.
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

There is a push on to get rid of ALL wire's. HDTV's come to mind.
    <EeePc 1000HA BT4/W7 USB boot Alfa500 GPS BlueTooth>

Quote Originally Posted by PeppersGhost View Post
    Yep. Wireless hdmi.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Quote Originally Posted by PeppersGhost View Post
    I've been hearing that kind of talk for decades, and it doesn't hold water. The reality is that going wireless only makes sense with devices that require high mobility by their very nature; e.g. laptops or cellphone headsets. A HDTV set isn't mobile, and would only suffer from interference if using a wireless link.

I suspect that "Devices without wires" will be right up there with "the paperless office" as a big lie of electronics.
    Thorn

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    I've been hearing that kind of talk for decades, and it doesn't hold water. The reality is that going wireless only makes sense with devices that require high mobility by their very nature; e.g. laptops or cellphone headsets. A HDTV set isn't mobile, and would only suffer from interference if using a wireless link.

I suspect that "Devices without wires" will be right up there with "the paperless office" as a big lie of electronics.
    There were a couple wireless flat panels this year at ces. Well they had a power cable....
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    There were a couple wireless flat panels this year at ces. Well they had a power cable....
    Wireless TV? Wow!

Uh, wait, hasn't that been around since about 1928?
    Thorn

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast