Thread: Bridging in Vmware

Default Bridging in Vmware

Hey !

I use a macbook, running bt3 (2.6.28) in Vmware Fusion (2.0.1) + VM-Ware-Tools

Now, if I connect with my ALFA 036H inside OSX, Internet in BT will only work if I choose NAT which is not the best option really if you´re interested in ARP poisoning etc...is there anything I have to configure inside BT to make "BRIDGED" work ?

ThanX A Lot !!!

Bridging the connection essentially means that the host OS will leach off the host OS's connection without any NAT rules etc. In other words, if the connection works in your host OS and you can make NAT work there is no reason why bridged mode shouldn't work as well.

I personally use this mode on my macbook and have not had any issues with it. The only preparation I do is to make sure the connection is working in the OSX before I start up VMware.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

It should be easy yes, i know, but for some reason it doesnt connect..
    How do you get you connection in OSX ? Airport, LAN our USB-Dongle ?

You should really go for a dual boot setup... It's really not that hard and you wouldnt have issues with the hardware...

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabound View Post
    It should be easy yes, i know, but for some reason it doesnt connect..
    How do you get you connection in OSX ? Airport, LAN our USB-Dongle ?
    Airport, have only used my Alfa from within BT. However, this should as far as I understand really not matter as VMware only bridges the connection. Still, have you tried bridging the airport connection instead?
    Quote Originally Posted by toohxc View Post
    You should really go for a dual boot setup... It's really not that hard and you wouldnt have issues with the hardware...
    Sadly not really true for Macs.

Quote Originally Posted by =Tron= View Post
    Sadly not really true for Macs.
    I didn't have a hard time... There are plenty of howto threads on here for people who need help. I found it way easier to do a dual boot rather than mess around in VMWARE. Tons of people on here including you self have issue with VMWARE and malformed packets, etc. I have never had an issues like that with my dual boot setup.

I didn't have a hard time... There are plenty of howto threads on here for people who need help. I found it way easier to do a dual boot rather than mess around in VMWARE. Tons of people on here including you self have issue with VMWARE and malformed packets, etc. I have never had an issues like that with my dual boot setup.
    I have to admit that I have personally not even attempted to dual-boot BT on my Macbook since I am so happy with my VMware setup, so I will not claim to be experienced within this field. Still, I understand that depending on the model of Apple computer you are using the process can get quite involved. As you probably noticed in my post when I stated that I can see the malformed packets using airbase-ng I also pointed out that everything was working as intended despite this.

Quote Originally Posted by =Tron= View Post
    I have to admit that I have personally not even attempted to dual-boot BT on my Macbook since I am so happy with my VMware setup, so I will not claim to be experienced within this field. Still, I understand that depending on the model of Apple computer you are using the process can get quite involved. As you probably noticed in my post when I stated that I can see the malformed packets using airbase-ng I also pointed out that everything was working as intended despite this.
    Well I am glad everything else is working correctly for you. What is your current setup? I think I have read that you are using the Alpha 500mW for your wireless, is that correct? I would assume you are doing this not only for the better range but due to lack of control of the onboard wireless card with VMware. I have been looking into an alpha 500mW and I would most likely switch to using vmware but I am not quite sure how my macbook would hold up performance wise. VMware always seemed a bit laggy to me, but to be honest I haven't tried since I upgraded to 4 gigs of ram.

Well I am glad everything else is working correctly for you. What is your current setup? I think I have read that you are using the Alpha 500mW for your wireless, is that correct? I would assume you are doing this not only for the better range but due to lack of control of the onboard wireless card with VMware. I have been looking into an alpha 500mW and I would most likely switch to using vmware but I am not quite sure how my macbook would hold up performance wise. VMware always seemed a bit laggy to me, but to be honest I haven't tried since I upgraded to 4 gigs of ram.
    My current setup is as follows: Aluminium Macbook 4Gb RAM, VMware Fusion 2.0, Alfa 500mw (AWUS036H).

You are correct that VMware only correctly recognizes wireless cards that are connected through USB. But I got the card mainly because I at the time only had a weak Broadcom based internal card and grew tired of its poor performance.

VMware is running absolutely great for me and I am really pleased with the setup. I usually dedicate a couple of Gb of RAM and one CPU core for it to use and everything is running very snappily. Using Spaces further improves the experience as you can have the guest OS running in full screen in one Space and easily switch between Leopard and BT3 with the press of a key. At most I have run 3 guest OSs side by side in their dedicated Space and they have all been very responsive without any hiccups.