Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Can't see my associated mac

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    29

    Default Can't see my associated mac

    Hi,

    I am running airodump-ng, can see the AP (and some neighbors one as well) however on the bottom table I can't see anything. No associated mac. My other laptop (Pentium 3) is running connected to the router but can't see his mac address, any idea why? Is it because it's a old Pentium 3? It is connected with a PCMCIA and I can surf the internet with it.


    Thanks!

    Eran

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    306

    Default

    Did you try to run Kismet with the same results?
    It has nothing to do with a Pentium 3.
    Just to point one thing out - That laptop is connected wireless i hope
    Make sure you are close enough to that other laptop, because you have to reach that signal.
    Be sensitive in choosing where you ask your question. You are likely to be ignored, or written off as a loser, if you:

    * post your question to a forum where it's off topic
    * post a very elementary question to a forum where advanced technical questions are expected, or vice-versa
    * cross-post to too many different newsgroups
    * post a personal e-mail to somebody who is neither an acquaintance of yours nor personally responsible for solving your problem

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by terminal86 View Post
    Did you try to run Kismet with the same results?
    It has nothing to do with a Pentium 3.
    Just to point one thing out - That laptop is connected wireless i hope
    Make sure you are close enough to that other laptop, because you have to reach that signal.
    Hi,

    Well the laptop is connected with wifi of course and is just next to me in the same room

    When you say to try with Kismet I don't understand how, I know that with Kismet you can see the BSSID (AP) but can't see any MAC address associated with this access point, am I right? if not, where can I find it on Kismet?

    Eran

    Editing :

    OK, I found the option in Kismet (C for clients) but the same thing...

    I am using a new USB dungle I bought called RP-SMA, it has a RealTek 8187 chipset. I bought it from a company called DataAlliance and just recieved it today.
    When check airmon-ng, I can see the dungle as active. so where is the problem?...

    Eran

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,008

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eran88 View Post
    Hi,

    Well the laptop is connected with wifi of course and is just next to me in the same room

    When you say to try with Kismet I don't understand how, I know that with Kismet you can see the BSSID (AP) but can't see any MAC address associated with this access point, am I right? if not, where can I find it on Kismet?

    Eran
    Highlight the appropriate AP and use the 'c' key to view any connected (and active) clients.
    Quote Originally Posted by eran88 View Post
    Hi,

    I am running airodump-ng, can see the AP (and some neighbors one as well) however on the bottom table I can't see anything. No associated mac. My other laptop (Pentium 3) is running connected to the router but can't see his mac address, any idea why? Is it because it's a old Pentium 3? It is connected with a PCMCIA and I can surf the internet with it.


    Thanks!

    Eran
    Is the client simply connected/associated or is it generating any traffic as well? If it is merely associated but not active in any way it will not show up before some traffic between the Ap and the client is exchanged.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by =Tron= View Post
    Highlight the appropriate AP and use the 'c' key to view any connected (and active) clients.Is the client simply connected/associated or is it generating any traffic as well? If it is merely associated but not active in any way it will not show up before some traffic between the Ap and the client is exchanged.

    Yes it is connected and even downloading. I just saw that I have a good power to my neighbors connection as well and Kismet shows traffic (a lots of packets) but when I click C to see associated clients it also doesn't show me anything...

    I have updated my last response with some details about my card, please read it if you can.

    Thank you!

    Eran

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,008

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eran88 View Post
    I am using a new USB dungle I bought called RP-SMA, it has a RealTek 8187 chipset. I bought it from a company called DataAlliance and just recieved it today.
    When check airmon-ng, I can see the dungle as active. so where is the problem?...

    Eran
    Well first of all RP-SMA is not the name of the dongle as this stands for the antenna connection type. As you state that it has the RealTek 8187 chipset and is bought from DataAlliance it sounds like it could be an Alfa 500mw (AWUS036H) adapter, is this the case? If so, there is no valid reason for why the clients wouldn't shown up as both the card and the default driver in BT3F supports this.

    There are a few other cards on DataAlliance that does fit your description as well, but sadly I cannot speak for these until I know exactly which one you have got.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by =Tron= View Post
    Well first of all RP-SMA is not the name of the dongle as this stands for the antenna connection type. As you state that it has the RealTek 8187 chipset and is bought from DataAlliance it sounds like it could be an Alfa 500mw (AWUS036H) adapter, is this the case? If so, there is no valid reason for why the clients wouldn't shown up as both the card and the default driver in BT3F supports this.

    There are a few other cards on DataAlliance that does fit your description as well, but sadly I cannot speak for these until I know exactly which one you have got.
    Hi,

    Sorry for the mistake...
    Actualy the item is this:

    http://www.data-alliance.net/servlet...mW-WiFi/Detail

    and has a RTL8187B cheapest.

    I just starting to think now that BT3 doesn't recognize it and shows me results on Kismet using my intel wifi chipset( 3495) and that's why I can't see the mac's address. Is there any way to activate this USB? I bought it just for that...

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,008

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eran88 View Post
    Hi,

    Sorry for the mistake...
    Actualy the item is this:

    http://www.data-alliance.net/servlet...mW-WiFi/Detail

    and has a RTL8187B cheapest.

    I just starting to think now that BT3 doesn't recognize it and shows me results on Kismet using my intel wifi chipset( 3495) and that's why I can't see the mac's address. Is there any way to activate this USB? I bought it just for that...
    Sadly the rtl8187b chipset is not nearly as supported as the rtl8187 by BT3 or the kernel version used in it. For more information on the chipset take a look here and use the forum search function.

    However to sum it up, for the best support of this card you will need to upgrade the kernel to at least version 2.6.27, which is no small task for a beginner.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by =Tron= View Post
    Sadly the rtl8187b chipset is not nearly as supported as the rtl8187 by BT3 or the kernel version used in it. For more information on the chipset take a look here and use the forum search function.

    However to sum it up, for the best support of this card you will need to upgrade the kernel to at least version 2.6.27, which is no small task for a beginner.
    Oh that's too bad...

    Do you know of another USB that support this rtl8187? I will try to replace this one and contact them soon.

    will it be very difficult to upgrade what you said?

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,008

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eran88 View Post
    Oh that's too bad...

    Do you know of another USB that support this rtl8187? I will try to replace this one and contact them soon.
    If you take a look at the magnitude of discussions on which wireless USB card to get that are posted on this forum you will notice that the aforementioned Alfa 500mw is highly recommended. It is a powerful card with good sensitivity and support by different programs. I personally have been using this card for quite a while and am very impressed by it.

    The only drawback of it is that the driver for it supported by the BT3 kernel version does not support connecting to WPA/WPA2 encrypted networks. This can however easily be solved by using ndiswrapper for this action and it is by no means a difficult process. A tutorial for this is posted by me here: http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=15497

    Quote Originally Posted by eran88 View Post
    will it be very difficult to upgrade what you said?
    This will completely depend on your familiarity and basic knowledge of Linux. If you feel like compiling a program or using the command line for more complicated tasks is above your head at the moment I do not suggest you choose this path. A few good tutorials on how to upgrade the kernel have been posted on the forum and this recently posted more automated process for the USB version by Dr_GrEeN.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •