Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: cowpatty cluster tutorials?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    75

    Talking cowpatty cluster tutorials?

    I've been taking a look around and am having trouble finding any docs on the net about anyone having a cowpatty cluster. I know the church of wifi mentioned using one when they were computing their 1000 SSID's project from someone they knew.

    I have access here at home to a max of 5 pc's and was wondering if the cowpatty program is setup for using clusters or not. I have previously setup an apache cluster and am assuming the process is very similar.

    Thx everyone

  2. #2
    Moderator theprez98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,533

    Default

    As far as I know, the use of clusters was limited to generating the hash tables beforehand, not actually using cowpatty to crack WPA/WPA2. The process actually involved the use of clustered FPGAs which significantly sped up the process.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    75

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by theprez98 View Post
    As far as I know, the use of clusters was limited to generating the hash tables beforehand, not actually using cowpatty to crack WPA/WPA2. The process actually involved the use of clustered FPGAs which significantly sped up the process.
    I thought it could have been used in a clustered format to speed up the creation of rainbow tables and then speed up the pass crack process.

    That's also a great site for info and cool new projects. I love it.

  4. #4
    Moderator theprez98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,533

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by andyem View Post
    I thought it could have been used in a clustered format to speed up the creation of rainbow tables and then speed up the pass crack process.

    That's also a great site for info and cool new projects. I love it.
    Well yes, creating the hash tables or rainbow tables is expressly what the cluster was used for; I think that is what I said. As for the actual cracking, I am not aware of anyone who has done this.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    75

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by theprez98 View Post
    Well yes, creating the hash tables or rainbow tables is expressly what the cluster was used for; I think that is what I said. As for the actual cracking, I am not aware of anyone who has done this.
    I just noticed that they have added support modules for a jtr cluster. I think I'll give this a try and see how it goes.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    58

    Default

    I have access to 12 older Dell poweredge servers at work, all with 2 gigs ram and two dual core zeon CPU's, Would make a mean cluster I would think, Not to mention all the other PCs we have just laying around.... Any Ideas on how to get this working? I would love to be able to remote into a cluster at work and set it to cracking a password... I am not really sure if that is even possible, I just hate to have access to all these servers and not using them to their potential
    I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday. ~Abraham Lincoln

  7. #7
    new2bt3
    Guest

    Default

    Are there any cracking programs out there that can run in a cluster?

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by new2bt3 View Post
    Are there any cracking programs out there that can run in a cluster?
    Yes, John the Ripper can be run in cluster mode.

    THIS link may provide some ideas

    Depending on what you want to crack, there are probably others out there.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •