Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: alfa awus036h high power

Default alfa awus036h high power

hi guys. ive seen numerous posts from people asking how to put the alfa into highpower mode. my question is, is this really nescessary? i use it with a hawking tech 6dbi omni antenna and i have excellent signal all over the place. plus airodump shows my mates ap up at a power of 57 from 13 doors away up my street. i have my antenna on the window ledge

Quote Originally Posted by cain#1 View Post
    hi guys. ive seen numerous posts from people asking how to put the alfa into highpower mode. my question is, is this really nescessary? i use it with a hawking tech 6dbi omni antenna and i have excellent signal all over the place. plus airodump shows my mates ap up at a power of 57 from 13 doors away up my street. i have my antenna on the window ledge
    You should keep in mind that increasing the TX power of the device will not affect, at least not in a positive way, the sensitivity of it. In other words, you will be able to send your signal further but will not be able to pick up weaker signals.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Quote Originally Posted by =Tron= View Post
    You should keep in mind that increasing the TX power of the device will not affect, at least not in a positive way, the sensitivity of it. In other words, you will be able to send your signal further but will not be able to pick up weaker signals.
    thanks for a speedy reply. thats put my mind at rest.

i was going to get a 12 dbi antenna but after seeing how good the 6dbi one is i dont think i need the better one

i was going to get a 12 dbi antenna but after seeing how good the 6dbi one is i dont think i need the better one
    Do note that a 12 dBi omni antenna has a lower beam divergence, which means that, although it has a higher range, it has a lower upper and a higher lower limit.

Google wifi beam divergence if I'm not making any sense

Quote Originally Posted by Citruspers View Post
    Do note that a 12 dBi omni antenna has a lower beam divergence, which means that, although it has a higher range, it has a lower upper and a higher lower limit.

Google wifi beam divergence if I'm not making any sense
    so the 12dbi antenna might actually give me a worse signal than the 6dbi one im using now?!

Just burned his ISO

Check out hxxp://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=14502 he used a Wifi champ meter: Cornet ED15 to test low up to high power mode ..... Ive been thinking about buying the same card my question is my old laptop only has 1 usb1 plug in on it I know the alfa uses 2 to get full power so could I use a USB2 pcmcia card to get the 2 usb connections? does bt3 see usb pcmcia cards? Anyone try it.....?

so the 12dbi antenna might actually give me a worse signal than the 6dbi one im using now?!
    That is correct, if your AP is higher or lower on the horizon. See the "beam" of an omni antenna as a big donut, which gets vertically flattened as the dBi's increase. I've heard a 6-8 dBi antenna is best for overall use, and 10 for long distance connections. I still bought a 10 dBi though, you can always tilt the antenna upwards if you have a rough idea where the AP is.

Just burned his ISO

Ive tried switching the stock 2db antenna with a 4db one from another wifi adapter, and it seemed to perform worse if anything.
    Ive also tried a cantenna, which again had no improvement over the standard 2db item.
    compared to the built in wireless on my laptop (picks up 3 ap's) its a vast improvement in range (15 ap's)
    Im ideally trying to find an antenna for when I go on holiday, I have a friend with wifi in his house who is about 1/2 km from me and my place is high up and looks out onto his rooftop.
    What antenna would people recommend for that sort of distance ?

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

Has anyone ever noticed any difference at all from setting their Alfa to 35 power? I've tried it myself a few times but never noticed any difference.
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast