Thread: Call to lnusertemp failed (temporary directories full)?

Default Call to lnusertemp failed (temporary directories full)?

Hi, I've installed BT3 according to Pureh@te tutorial (with some small modifications) but during logging this announcement appears:
    Code:
    bt login: root
    password: toor
    No directory, logging in with HOME=/
    after that I wrote

Code:
    # xconf
    # fixvesa
    # startx
    and only thing I see is black screen with this announcement
    img253.imageshack.us/my.php?image=lnusertempyy9.jpg

I've googled and find out it can be caused by some permissions, missing folders, wrong X configuration... I also tried a lot of commands but no tutorial worked out...
    any other ideas? hlp

Quote Originally Posted by Nurek_bagieNNy View Post
    Hi, I've installed BT3 according to Pureh@te tutorial (with some small modifications) but during logging this announcement appears:
    Code:
    bt login: root
    password: toor
    No directory, logging in with HOME=/
    This usually means that you don't have a "/root" directory and it is dumping you to the "/" directory after login. What exactly was the change(s) you made to the installation?
    after that I wrote

Code:
    # xconf
    # fixvesa
    # startx
    and only thing I see is black screen with this announcement
    img253.imageshack.us/my.php?image=lnusertempyy9.jpg

I've googled and find out it can be caused by some permissions, missing folders, wrong X configuration... I also tried a lot of commands but no tutorial worked out...
    any other ideas? hlp
    Not sure. But since you don't have a "/root" directory then this won't help you.

Just burned his ISO

Wow I actually just had this same problem it was wierd it seemed to fix itself...I first installed it to my hdd thinking that was the problem (when I got the error I was booting from a CD) but it did the same thing so I tried flux it worked fine so I figured I could deal with that most of the things I liked were cli anyway. So I booted up today and thought just for the hell of it i'd try to startx and it loaded up nice and clean not sure what causes it..

Quote Originally Posted by larryhaja View Post
    This usually means that you don't have a "/root" directory and it is dumping you to the "/" directory after login. What exactly was the change(s) you made to the installation?
    Not sure. But since you don't have a "/root" directory then this won't help you.
    I used this command:
    Code:
    cp --preserve -R /{bin,dev,pentest,usr,etc,lib,opt,sbin,var} /mnt/backtrack/
    instead of
    Code:
    cp --preserve -R /{bin,dev,home,pentest,root,usr,etc,lib,opt,sbin,va r} /mnt/backtrack/
    now I realize this doesn't copy necessary directories such 'home' and 'root' (I'm a newb so don't understand every line ... but I try :P )

Quote Originally Posted by Order Zero View Post
    Wow I actually just had this same problem it was wierd it seemed to fix itself...I first installed it to my hdd thinking that was the problem (when I got the error I was booting from a CD) but it did the same thing so I tried flux it worked fine so I figured I could deal with that most of the things I liked were cli anyway. So I booted up today and thought just for the hell of it i'd try to startx and it loaded up nice and clean not sure what causes it..
    I found your thread but seems like your problem is caused by wrong drivers to your external screen, anyway I tried couple of suggestions from your thread but none worked out... :/
    so, I'm going now to reinstall BT3 and copy necessary directories xD

Finally I got my BT3 working, after complete reinstallation a small problem with 'kernel panic' appeard, I solved this with changing a line in lilo.conf
    Code:
    root = /dev/sdaX
    Thank you larryhaja for helpful hint

Glad it worked. In the case of BT3, the /home directory is not really needed. BT3 is made to run as root and all the important configuration files are in the /root directory at boot. The /home directory can be added later if extra users are added.