Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: What USB Flash Drive Do you Use to Boot BackTrack3?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Just burned his ISO
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    18

    Arrow What USB Flash Drive Do you Use to Boot BackTrack3?

    1. I bough a junk flash drive from eBay which can't boot + i screwed it up by trying to be recognized as local disk! so its useless, i will be buying a new flash drive.

    If you are using BackTrack3 + changes from USB without any problem, can you tell me which USB, you are using? I will be buy the same one.

    I'm after 16 GB stick.

    2. If my PC can not boot from USB, is there a way i can make it boot from USB?

  2. #2

    Default

    try repartitioning your usb drive with gparted, or gparted live cd.
    try dd if=/dev/random | dd of=/dev/your_usb_drive
    what is the procedure you're using to make the drive bootable?
    Generally, you should modify the syslinux/syslinux.cfg file to mirror your configuration (location of kernel etc). then run ./bootinst.sh

  3. #3
    Developer
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    6,124

    Default

    I find it hard to believe the usb is useless. Boot a live backtrack cd and run dmesg to see what its called. In my example we will assume its /dev/sdd
    try these commands in a shell.
    fdisk /dev/sdd
    d
    1
    n
    p
    1
    <enter>
    <enter>
    w
    then when the prompt returns..
    mkdosfs -F 32 /dev/sdd

    After that you should be able to see it in winders again.

  4. #4
    Just burned his ISO
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    I find it hard to believe the usb is useless. Boot a live backtrack cd and run dmesg to see what its called. In my example we will assume its /dev/sdd
    try these commands in a shell.
    fdisk /dev/sdd
    d
    1
    n
    p
    1
    <enter>
    <enter>
    w
    then when the prompt returns..
    mkdosfs -F 32 /dev/sdd

    After that you should be able to see it in winders again.
    hm, ok! I got one more question, i'm following one of the tutorials. I saw that after backtrack works from USB, i should go to syslinux.cfg & do some changes, why do we have to do it?

  5. #5
    Just burned his ISO
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gromeo View Post
    try repartitioning your usb drive with gparted, or gparted live cd.
    try dd if=/dev/random | dd of=/dev/your_usb_drive
    what is the procedure you're using to make the drive bootable?
    Generally, you should modify the syslinux/syslinux.cfg file to mirror your configuration (location of kernel etc). then run ./bootinst.sh
    I'm about to give up. I tried everything! It shows that my installation is well done, all i need is to restart & boot from BIOS. My BIOS shows USB 2.0, i click it - It fails to boot! Weird.

    I give it a last chance.

  6. #6
    Junior Member alank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by f.ben.isaac View Post
    1. I bough a junk flash drive from eBay which can't boot + i screwed it up by trying to be recognized as local disk! so its useless, i will be buying a new flash drive.

    If you are using BackTrack3 + changes from USB without any problem, can you tell me which USB, you are using? I will be buy the same one.

    I'm after 16 GB stick.

    2. If my PC can not boot from USB, is there a way i can make it boot from USB?
    yeah get a mainboard that allows booting from usb

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    36

    Default

    If my PC can not boot from USB, is there a way i can make it boot from USB?
    update your BIOS .

    I think when you buy a computer they give you driver cd and motherboard cd for bios software .

    I had a PC which cant boot from usb , I updated the BIOS then I had an option for booting from usb.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •