Thread: Using "uselivemod" to Insert Crippled Sources.

Just burned his ISO

Exclamation Using "uselivemod" to Insert Crippled Sources.

So I've been trying (unsuccessfully) for 2-3 days now to get a BT3 CD with 2.6.28 and the new Alfa toys as per Dr_GrEeN's instructions in hxxp://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=19221

The part I'm confused about is where he says, "download the package and install using uselivemod before compiling drivers!!".

When I try to install the crippled sources, I get this message:
    bt modules # uselivemod bt3sources-linux-2.6.28-i486-1.lzm
    Cannot read module data. corrupted download?
    error inserting module to live filesystem
    So this leads me to another question about whether or not I'm supposed to use this .lzm on the new CD or just insert it into the live one I'm currently running and THEN run his install script.

I did try previously putting the .lzm on to a CD with the 2.6.28 kernel. I encountered the same error as someone else though and it read:
    bt ~ # airmon-ng start wlan0

Interface Chipset Driver
    wlan0 Realtek 8187L rtl8187 - [phy0]

ERROR: Neither the sysfs interface links nor the iw command is available.
    Please download and install iw from dl.aircrack-ng.org/iw.tar.bz2
    So, for those just skimming this, if you can include detailed instructions for the new CD's install, that'd be great. If not, at least let me know how to install this lzm or at least how Dr_GrEeN intends it to be installed.

wait a couple of weeks, bt4 beta is coming out... hopefully... bt3 will become obsolete

Very good friend of the forum drgr33n's Avatar

here's the iw package, if you running from a hdd install place this in the modules directory of your bt3 install and reboot.

iw.lzm

Just burned his ISO

Mr_Green,
    I'm new on this furum and nice to meet u.
    Two dayz ago I followed your steps and created the "upgraded _2.6.28 Bt3 cd", with the 52.8Mb tgz file; thougth it booted and worked as usual, it missed the ndiswrapper module and others (also missing rtl8187). I hope the new tgz file (56.9Mb) you posted will be more complete 'cause I hope to work with netgear wg111v3 usb device in native monitor mode (in ndiswrapper monitor mode isn't available).
    Will post my results here.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_GrEeN View Post
    here's the iw package, if you running from a hdd install place this in the modules directory of your bt3 install and reboot.
    I appreciate the help, but I should have better described what's going on. I use BackTrack3 liveCD. I was attempting to make a NEW liveCD with the patched Alfa drivers and the 2.6.28 kernel.

I have succeeded in making a disc with the 2.6.28 kernel, but I put the crippled sources in the modules folder during the install. I didn't insert it using uselivemod.

So I suppose, the question is what EXACTLY do I do to insert the crippled sources module with the BT3 live disc. So, to be clear - I am NOT using a HD install, but a live disc. I have mounted my hard drive under the live install for doing the actual compile.

Thanks for your replies in advance. :]