Thread: Linksys WUSB600N

crashreb0ot

Default Linksys WUSB600N

* Driver : rt2870 (modified by hirte and nemesis)
    * Chipset : Ralink rt2870 a/b/g/n

You will need kernel.lzm and to compile the included driver from the link above.

Im not sure if there is a tut out there. I tried searching the forums for one but came up with nothing.
    Can anyone give me the steps to including the driver so I can get this functioning?

I already downloaded the driver now i need to understand what to do with the kernel.lzm and how to compile it into there.

lzm2dir kernel.lzm / (if kernel.lzm is saved on root else define path accordingly)
    will install kernel headers if you are running CD version.In USB no need of it as its already there.

Just burned his ISO

I'm also struggling with the 600n.

I'm using the VMware download of BT3.

I downloaded the Kernel from Offensive Security, I extracted using LZM2Dir (do I need to do anything else?)
    I downloaded the modified driver, rt2870-2.6.25-hirte.tar.bz2, extracted and did a make and make install.

No noticeable errors.

IWconfig is listing no wireless extensions.

lsusb lists the adaptor as:

Bus 1 Device 2: ID 1737:0071 Linksys

Am I missing anything? I'm a bit of a linux noob as you can tell.

Just burned his ISO

I got the device showing up in iwconfig by following the instructions here ([h ttps://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/45440) and applying to the modified driver.
    Copied for archive purposes :

Open with gedit the file named config.mk, that is placed in the subfolder os/linux. Replace the lines "HAS_WPA_SUPPLICANT=n" and "HAS_NATIVE_WPA_SUPPLICANT_SUPPORT=n", with the lines "HAS_WPA_SUPPLICANT=y" and "HAS_NATIVE_WPA_SUPPLICANT_SUPPORT=y" (without the quotes). Save and close.

Now open the file named rt2870.h that is placed in the subfolder include. Insert a new line after "{USB_DEVICE(0x157E,0x300E)}, /* U-Media */ \", it is line 126, and place in the new line exactly this string "{USB_DEVICE(0x1737,0x0071)}, /* WUSB600N */ \" (again without the quotes). Save and close.

We are ready to compile, so bring up a terminal, point it to the directory "2008_0718_RT2870_Linux_STA_v1.3.1.0" and type "sudo make". It may take some minutes. If no error is reported (for me it worked) then you have your driver compiled.

Now we have to copy the file named RT2870STA.dat to the folder /etc/Wireless/RT2870STA/. You may have to create it, for example type in the terminal:

$
    sudo mkdir /etc/Wireless
    sudo mkdir /etc/Wireless/RT2870STA
    sudo cp RT2870STA.dat /etc/Wireless/RT2870STA/RT2870STA.dat

Almost done, we have to load the driver kernel module. Select again the terminal, navigate to the subfolder os/lnux, and then load the module with:

$
    sudo insmod rt2870sta.ko

To get it running always at startup, we have to edit a file. Open it by typing in the terminal "sudo gedit /etc/modules", then at the end of file add the line "rt2870sta" (without the quotes). Save and close.

Reboot your pc, it should then work.
    Gedit isn't installed on Backtrack as far as I can see so replace with Kedit. Sudo isn't necessary because you already have root access

The problem I now have is getting the driver to start at startup, at the moment I'm having to manually navigate to rt2870/os/linux and instmod rt2870sta.ko to start the driver, /etc/modules produced a blank page, editing modules.conf didn't make a difference.
    Anyone know where I make the entry in Backtrack?

Just burned his ISO

It looks like a no-go with VMware, although the driver installed, kismet and anything else would freeze on startup and the OS would become unstable.
    I've succesfully installed the adaptor on a USB HDD BT3 installation with success in cracking my own Wep key.

No need to edit the config.mk with the driver listed below.
    Basic steps are :

Download the Nemesis version of the driver (wxw.speedshare.org/download.php?setlang=en&id=F81DA99513)

Extract, copy RT2870STA.dat from root to /etc/Wireless/RT2870STA/

Compile using Make

CD to os/linux/
    insmod rt2870sta.ko

Kismet entry is : source=rt73,ra0,ralink
    Hopefully this might be some help to someone and sorry for taking so many posts but they did help in remembering where I'd been .

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by crashreb0ot View Post
    * Driver : rt2870 (modified by hirte and nemesis)
    * Chipset : Ralink rt2870 a/b/g/n

You will need kernel.lzm and to compile the included driver from the link above.

Im not sure if there is a tut out there. I tried searching the forums for one but came up with nothing.
    Can anyone give me the steps to including the driver so I can get this functioning?

I already downloaded the driver now i need to understand what to do with the kernel.lzm and how to compile it into there.

this thread looks like it has already cobwebs on it but im actually on this dead-end either....

CAN someone may a Tutorial on how to install the Kernel.Lzm for the wusb600n? please please please.

Time to update to bt4 pre-final. Would probably save you some headache rather than trying to get the device to work on a legacy kernel.

Also I meant updating bt4 pre-final as in not just getting it but updating the kernel which is available in the repository.